Stern Drive Paint

WanabeBoater

Petty Officer 1st Class
Is there a special paint that is used for the stern drive or can rust oleum do the job?

fdmsiv

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Stern Drive Paint

I was planning on using interlux Trilux outboard drive paint. It is a spray paint but it only comes in white and black.

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

I would love to know as well. I heard the factory Mercruiser (which is basically what I have on there now) is good, but once it gets beat up and barnacles on it, what are the options?

mabj

Cadet

Just had my two mercruiser stern drives painted with trilux. My diver recommended it in Charleston -probably because it makes it easier for him to clean. But I figure - in salt water you cant take too many precautions. I will let you know how it turns out

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

Great link... now probably a newb questions, but what should I remove and not paint? I assume if it's painted now, it can be sanded and painted, and if it's not, leave it be and simply clean it up?

Thanks guys, been a huge help!

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,......

I paint my alpha anually with Rustolium Black,.....

The Only thing you don't want covered with Paint,... Is the Torque Tab/ Anode......

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

I don't paint SS props but if its aluminum paint away! It may not stay on very long though..