Stereo direct to deep cycle battery

mrdsanborn

Cadet
I run two 12v DC batteries for my 24v trolling motor. Would there be a problem to run my standard marine stereo to those batteries since they are wired together for 24v output?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Stereo direct to deep cycle battery

You can wire it to ONE of the batteries -- NOT using the 24 volt system. But why would you do that. Pulling down one of the batteries in the 24 volt system will cut down troller time. Unless this is a high power unit, there is little chance of killing the starting battery, and not chance you will TOAST the stereo by hooking it up wrong, to the wrong battery, or having an accidental ground issue, all of which are possible with what you want to do. You sould connect ONLY to the battery that has the ground (negative) wire going to the trolling motor. It will work if you use the other battery but BEWARE of the ground issue I mentioned. If you don't understand that then don't do it.

archcycle

Chief Petty Officer

Just go to the starter battery. The stereo isn't going to dent a deep cycle that is in good condition. Also assuming you're not running amps or subwoofers. I run a tiny group U-1 deep cycle for my accessories and have never had a problem with my Sony head pushing infinity 6 1/2s all day.

Edit: assuming there is a deep cycle starting battery.

mrdsanborn

Cadet

The starting battery is not a DC battery. I was able to find an image in another thread on how to attach the stereo to one of the batteries. So I attached it to that. I have no amps or subwoofers attached. How much will it really drain from the one battery?
I've never heard of a U-1 DC battery. I'll check that out. Could be what I need. I just hate to add another battery. Or would be it better to replace the starter battery with a 12v DC battery?

RogersJetboat454

Commander

I assure you, the starter battery is a DC battery, as there is no such thing as an AC battery.

mrdsanborn

Cadet

So would a U 1 deep cycle battery work for the stereo? I looked them up and they are used on electric wheelchairs. They're fairly small. That would be great if they would power my stereo for 5+ hours at a time.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Look at the amp/hour rating! U1 is the physical size of the battery. Batteries of the same physical size do not necessarily have the same "electrical capacity".

PS94

Petty Officer 1st Class

I assure you, the starter battery is a DC battery, as there is no such thing as an AC battery.

Don't feel bad, I instantly assumed he thought it was an A/C battery.
too much time with schematics and not enough time on boats!!!!

mrdsanborn

Cadet

so what's a good amp/hour U 1 battery for a simple stereo - no amp, no subwoofer. just stereo and 4 speakers.