Steering

I need help with my steering on my 1988 Johnson 140. The steering is TIGHT!!!! When i disconnect the steering rod from the motor it is like butter (the steering wheel and rod)!!!! So that eliminated that issue. With the steering rod disconnected the motor can NOT be turned by hand which means the problem is in the pivot point of the motor. I see that the motor has one grease fitting which I greased but grease only came out of the bottom seal and not the top. The old grease was a little rusty and the motor is still hard to turn. I was wondering what i should do to loosen the steering up. thanks for all of you help thus far!

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Steering

You can try to force some grease into the top bushing. One way to do that is to tilt the motor all the way up. Now tie a rope around the transom bracket and under the antiventilation plate, and tighten it. I use a stick to tighten the loop of rope, like stopping the bleeding of an artery in the leg. The intent is to lift the motor up on the steering shaft and open the clearance of the top bushing, to allow grease to enter it.

DargelJohn

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Steering

Another way to get grease to the upper bushing is to put the motor in a verticle position. Put car jack under the motor skeg (use a block of wood to protect skeg) and jack it up just enough to relieve pressure on the upper bushing. Then try pumping the grease.