steering

moach1

Cadet
Hey y'all. I have an 89 advantage with an 88 merc black max 150 xr4. She turns great one way, but going the other way she needs about twice as much room. I just get her last summer and she is my first boat. Any ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

dadgummit

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: steering

If you mean the wheel is harder to turn one way, then you need to:

1) play with the trim while running. "up" transfers steering torque to the left
"down" transfers steering torque to the right
or

2)adjust your trim tab. If the boat turns easier to the left, turn the trailing edge of the tab to the left (looking at the back). Reverse procedure if boat turns easier to the right.

moach1

Cadet

no its not that, but thanks for chipping in. its like the motor is not turning far enough one direction when i turn. i have been looking around the google today, could it be a steering link arm? i don't know if that would have any thing to do with it. again, any help is appreciated. thank you.

dadgummit

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hey Moach, I'm guessing the cables aren't centered right.

matt9923

Chief Petty Officer

Could be a striped gear in teh steering box. Turns fine one way but not the other cuas esoem tethe are F...d up. It is a teleflex single cable steering system correct? Not a rope/pully system.
Matt

j_martin

Admiral

I'm guessing you have morse dual cable steering. The cables are out of step with each other in the helm.

The procedure is to correctly assemble the helm, then center it and hook up the cables at the motor. Many installers did it backward and wound up with the racks 1 or 2 teeth out of sync with each other. Boat may have been like that since new.

Easy to fix, but you may be turning the adjusting nuts on the add on steering tube quite a bit.

If cables are getting worn, or helm messed up, maybe now is the time to go for a dual cable NFB system. 4 turns lock to lock instead of 2, and NFB is real nice. Even if you get knocked off the helm, it isn't going to hook on you.

hope it helps
John

moach1

Cadet

cool, thanks. ill start looking at them there cables. i really do appreciate y'all time