Steering wheel removal

jbh350

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1985 Bayliner 2550. I need to remove the steering wheel but not sure how to do this. There is no place to put a puller on it. Has anyone done this or have any knowledge on how to do this?<br /><br />Thanks

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Steering wheel removal

Hi John,<br /><br />I can only tell you how I pulled the one off my old pontoon I used to have. I backed the nut off until it was flush with the end of the shaft threads. I then had a friend pull on the steering wheel hard while I gave the nut a good whack or two with a hammer and it popped right off. This may not be the conventional way, but it worked for me....

Link

Rear Admiral

Hi John<br />About the same story here also. I used Quick Grip Bar Clamp Spreaders between the wheel and the center console (backed the nut off first) a little WD40 and a plastic dead blow hammer on the nut. <br /><br />Link

Cal_MI

Cadet

Rick is right. That is the conventional way. Sometimes the biggest problem is getting to the nut. Sometimes it is covered by an adhesive sticker. If you are lucky, it is under a pop-off cover.<br /><br />However, on most boats you can also stick a fork wedge thingie, that is sold for automotive pulling something, behind the steering wheel and drive the wheel loose with a hammer on the tool.

Hooty

Rear Admiral

I just use a bearing puller. Oh, and I think that "fork wedge thingie" is called a ball joint spreader. :D <br /><br />c/6<br />Hooty

Bass Runner

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I think the the fork wedge thingie your talking about is a ball joint breaker, used for replacing ball joints in a car. I just pull up on the wheel and whack the nut usally comes right off, remember when you pull the wheel the rest of the way off (catch the key because they usally fall out and run and hide never to be seen again untill after you spend two or three days finding one at the auto parts store) :(

Link

Rear Admiral

Bass Runner <br />
(catch the key because they usally fall out and run and hide never to be seen again untill after you spend two or three days finding one at the auto parts store)
LOL I almost mentioned the key for the same reasons... quick little critters they are! :)

jbh350

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks to all, I honestly do not know what I would do without this forum.<br /><br />Thanks again