steering upgrade help

rick3b

Cadet
I need help. I purchased an old boat with the old cable and pulley system. I have searched for steering systems, but am kinda confused with all the choices. Some are for power-assisted, some for v6-8,etc. Someone please give me a specific brand and model# that I need. I have a 1966 Johnson 60 horse v4. No power steering of course. Also I noticed that all the systems have a bar and a nut that twists(like a bottle cap) on to the motor. My motor does not have any place for that nut to attatch itself to. Do I need some kind of adapter and bracket? Please help. I want to go fishing.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: steering upgrade help

You will need this adaptor.<br /><br /> http://www.iboats.com/mall/index.cg...art_id=231730989&current_category=engine part <br /><br />It bolts to the transom and provides a tube for the cable to go into. Then there is an arm that goes up and attaches to the engine.<br /><br />Then you will need a steering system and cable. <br />You do not need a NFB (no feed back) system, or hydrolic system. Just a basic Teleflex Rotary or Rack system. The retailer should be able to "steer" you to the right product.<br /><br />You have to do some specific and accurate measuring, so you get the right length cable.