steering tube problems...

ArrowGlasser

Recruit
Ive searched the forums and cannot find a suitable answer to my problem so here it is:

I have a 1976 200 HP Evinrude serial 200649S with frozen steering. When the pivoting arm is removed the motor itself turns smoothly and freely. However I still cannot turn the steering wheel, which leads me to a few possibilities...

1) steering cable seized
2)components inside of steering tube seized (tube itself I can twist with
some muscle and elbow grease)

Ive got that part figured out... Here's the stupid question...

How do I get the cable out of the steering tube?

This boat is undergoing a complete restoration so time isn't an issue, would like to conserve money if I can but I understand somethings need money invested.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: steering tube problems...

disconnect at helm, now disconnect link arm at motor. with a block of wood to protect the end of steering rod, drive the steering rod thru the tilt tube. do not remove the tilt tube. you may have to lift he motor to get clearance. then throughly clean tilt tube, will probably have to replace cable.

ArrowGlasser

Recruit

Ok, that was the key right there. Disconnecting at helm, also, I've been using a soft blow mallet (plastic type). I'm sure thats fine, no worry of mushrooming the end of the steering rod. Thanks for the information...

BillP

Captain

Whoa...forcing the cable can damage perfectly good stuff so don't hammer until you've tried heat first to loosen it. Steering cables are quite often seized in a SMALL section of the tube at the end where the cable goes in. Heating the tube has worked more times than not for me and there's no cable to replace.

bp

ArrowGlasser

Recruit

I don't know for sure if its the cable or not... I haven't done anything with it for the past week. I actually plan on tackling it later today, however, I will heed your advice. The solid stainless steel rod that sticks out of the tilt tube is either seized or it's the cable... Not entirely sure which one but what I want to do is separate the two from each other, to diagnose the issue. Will be taking pictures soon for my records but I'll show off the floor i cut out of the boat, too.

Seon

Petty Officer 1st Class

I recently had to replace the steering cable on my boat but also had to replace the steering tube because I couldn't get the old cable out of it. Fortunately, I had a grinder to cut the cable and an engine cherry picker to lift the motor off the transom high enough to remove the old tube. Other than that, the change out was quick and easy.

Benny1963

Lieutenant

tap it out after spraying with kroil use wood block then turn steering if cable is free and turns well emery up the shaft lightly and use wire bore brush on drill with kroil to clean tube ,if it is not totaly rusted you can usualy relube
and go on your way ,done quite a few this way check cable for damage
and replace if not safe

scottydskins

Recruit

I have the same problem with my 1987 Johnson 140. I took it out today and found out the hard way it was locked up. I unhooked the cable from the engine and now have free play in the wheel with the cable moving back and forth, but the link end is not budging and stuck tight. Should this be happening? It seems to me it is broken as the cable doesnt seem that big, but I can not get it out of the tube. Im gonna try the advice above in the a.m. gotta hit the water tommorow.

KLINDWW

Seaman

To troubleshoot where your problem is at, disconnect the steering cable from the engine and then try to turn the helm. If the steering cable is locked up you will still not be able to move the steering wheel. If the steering rod is locked up in the steering tube the wheel will move in one direction and you will see the cable move away from the motor. Remember to try to move the helm both ways. The project boat that I bought the rod was locked up in the steering tube and I had to beat it all the way out. Had to end up using a foot long 3/8 extension to reach all the way through the tube. See what happens and good luck.