steering rod

nofish95

Cadet
I'm trying to replace the steering rod and cable on my outboard. The steering had become difficult. Anyway, I have partially removed the steering rod, and now see that there is not enough room for me to get it out. <br /><br />The steering rod is several inches longer than the available space for it to come out. The hole in the hull for the steering cable is off-set from the end of the steering rod. So, if I continue to push the steering rod out, it will put it's own hole in the hull!<br /><br />Am I overlooking something simple? Any advice would be appreciated.<br /><br />nofish

D

DJ

Re: steering rod

You are going to have to pull on it from inside of where it enters the hull.<br /><br />The other choices are to dismount the outboard or cut it.

nofish95

Cadet

Thanks for the response DJ.<br /><br />I won't be able to get it to go through the hole where it enters the hull-the rod would have to be bendable to make that turn. The steering cable is curved between the rod and the hole. <br /><br />I can cut the old one, but I still won't be able to install the new rod since there is no room.<br /><br />I figured this work could be done if the outboard was removed, but I definitely do not have the right tools for that job. I was hoping to take care of the replacement myself. <br /><br />Could I just cut a new hole in the hull so that the rod and the new hole line-up? Or would removing the outboard be the wiser choice?<br /><br />nofish

Dave Abrahamson

Lieutenant

You may not have to remove the motor completely.<br />If you can remove the mounting bolts and slide the motor over to the port side you should have enough room. Make sure you have some help...dang motors are heavy.<br /><br />Dave

cinder1995

Petty Officer 3rd Class

nofish95 <br /><br />I had to do the same thing a few months ago. I posted a topic on here becasue i've never heard of that before.<br /><br />I had to cut mine to get it out. Then while it was out, I routed out the hole in the hull to make it(more)level with the shaft tube on the motor.<br /><br />Once I was done I figured this was the problem with steering and not the cable. None the less, my steering is easier now.

nofish95

Cadet

Thanks to everyone who replied. the end result was to take the boat to a qualified shop.<br /><br />We did not have the capacity to remove or partially remove the outboard at home. I'm thinking the steering box was the culprit anyway?.<br />It would not turn at all after the old cable was removed.<br /><br />See ya on the water.<br /><br />nofish