Steering retro-fit

mellocj

Seaman
I have a 1963 17' fiberglass runabout. It is registered as a Starcraft, but nowhere on it does it actually say Starcraft :) <br /><br />Anways, I upgraded the motor last year to a 1974 115hp Evinrude, it had an old 1963 75hp on it that cracked. It still has the original steering, which consists of cables running around the steering wheel shaft and then back along each side of the boat to the motor. The guy that helped me put the motor on said that this steering system sucks, and I believe him. It is harder to move the 115hp motor around now compared to the 75hp. <br /><br />Is there a cheap retrofit kit I can get? Are there any boat junkyards that would have this sort of thing? I am a college student so funds are tight. I am worried that the force required to steer it will eventually rip the pulleys out of the sides of the boat. <br /><br />I have decent fabrication skills (welding and stuff).

Lark40

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Steering retro-fit

Having boats with both the cable/pulley system and a newer hydraulic system, there is no argument that newer is better.<br /><br />Go to some boat stores and pick up their catalogs, or log onto websites of manufacturers like Teleflex. An hour or so of research will give you the knowledge of what's available. <br /><br />The difficulty will depend on the configuration of you boat's rear deck and transom. Measure carefully according to the steering manufacturer's instructions.<br /><br />I wouldn't use a junk steering system, just my opinion.

D

DJ

mellocj,<br /><br />Go to ebay an type in the words: "boat steering".<br /><br />You can pick up a whole system for around $100.00, less steering wheel.<br /><br />Or, look at the systems on this site: iboats.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

You can get a Teleflex setup for about $150 new. You can either use whats called a rotery system or a rack and pinion system. The rotary system is great for tight spaces, but the rack have a lighter feel to it. You will need to come up with a measurement from the wheel to the motor, based on the route you run the cable. You will also need a steering wheel and the appropriate mounting hardware for your outboard. Those old cable and pully systems are alright for lower horsepower, but 115 horsies is a bit much. Good Luck, you can search on this site, or Overtons.com, or Ebay....

Jack Shellac

Lieutenant Commander

mellocj, you are right to be concerned. These old systems are a disaster waiting to happen. If it breaks at speed, the prop torque is going to put the motor hard over immediately and everyone is going out of the boat. Don't take the chance and get a good steering system like the guys are talking about. NC State, I presume? When I lived in Raleigh, I used to cut through the campus and had an Auburn tiger paw on my back window. I couldn't figure out why the students were all yelling at me. Someone finally told me that they thought it was Clemson. Duh on me.

mellocj

Seaman

Jack, yes I'm at NC State... thanks for the responses. Sounds like after some reading and measuring I can get a teleflex system off of ebay.