Steering Question

buddyx1

Cadet
Hello All, <br />This is my first post here to this forum and just to let everyone know I am very impressed with the overall knowledge base and the overwhelming response to posts. Here is my question. I just purchased a 1987 MonArk 181 with an OMC 4.3L Cobra. I got the boat from a dealer in Wisconsin. Everything seems to be in working order, engine in good order along will all accessories. After my second time out on the lake, I noticed the steering to port was better than steering to starboard. If I would compare the range of motion, I would say the stern drive would turn at an angle of about 30 degrees to port and about 15 degrees to starboard. I took the boat back to the dealer so they can look at it and see if there is an adjustment that can be done to correct this. They took the boat, looked it over, and informed me the steering is adjusted as far as it can go and there is nothing that can be done. They informed me that this was a design flaw. :confused: So far, this dealer has delivered on all their promises and been very good and trustworthy. They took care of other issues including a rebuild carb. Can anyone tell me if they are just blowing smoke up my chimney and is this something I should even worry about?<br /> :D <br /><br />Thank you to everyone

Blk-n-Blu

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Steering Question

Buddy, When you turn to port your following the torque the propeller creates and turning to starboard is against the prop torque. While at cruise speed and below can you let go of the steering at all or does the boat want to turn to port? Got trim tabs? power steering? some of the things that affect steering.

buddyx1

Cadet

Blk-n-Blu, <br /><br />That is the same response the dealer said at first when I first described the problem to them. The thing that concerns me is the actual range of motion when you turn the stern drive to the starboard. It actually only turns about 1/2 as well as turning to port. I would say if you would compare the angle it is about 30 degrees to port and only turn 15 degrees to starboard. This is with the engine on or off. I do have power steering but do not have trim tabs.

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

I just wrote a book about what to check then realized you have power steering, guess I should read more carefully. Sorry, disregard this post.

buddyx1

Cadet

Hi,<br />Anyone else have any ideas on this one?<br /><br />Thanks