Steering Question

pvisser

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1983 19' Doral with a 1983 3.8l V6 OMC and OMC outboard. The question I have is with regaurds to the way the boat steers. At low (idle) or non wake speeds the boat will not run straight, I have to continually turn the wheel back and forth (almost full turns) to keep it relatively straight, other boaters must think I'm drunk... At any speed over 10mph this problem is gone. The outdrive seems tight when down and engine off. Any idea where to look, or is this normal?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Steering Question

Boats in General,+ V-hulls in particular tend to Wander.......<br /><br />Don't Fight it so much....... <br />Let it drift a little, use Small corrections.......<br />Relax.....<br /><br />It's Water you're driving on...... Not Concrete......... ;)

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

Ever ride a motorcycle behind a semi? The wind hits you from side to side and back again. Same effect on boats that aren't on plane. Seems worse on some than others. Haven't figured out why it decreases as speed increases. With semis, it gets worse. But once the boat is planed, the effect goes away entirely.

Dunaruna

Admiral

Originally posted by Bondo:<br /> Don't Fight it so much....... <br />Let it drift a little, use Small corrections.......<br />Relax.....<br />
Bingo! Eventually it becomes second nature, you won't notice your doing it.<br /><br />Aldo

cuzner

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Same thought here,give the boat time to follow when you steer it takes longer at low speed... you'll get the hang of it.<br /><br /><br /> Jim

Catchem

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sounds like you might want to get some smart tabs.They correct this problem.Talk to nauticajohn.

out_bored

Cadet

Funny, I just posted a steering problem with an 18' '85 Doral with the same OMC I/O (a different problem than what you mentioned, though) but I had stated there that I have exactly the same compensate/over-compensate experience that you have. I guess it is just what happens with our hulls.<br /><br />Makes your passengers wonder if you know what your doing though, eh?