Steering problem

Bayliner175xt

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi people, just looking for suggestion on what could be causing my steering wheel to have about 1/4-1/3 free play before the boat actually turns.
It seems to be in the assembly to attaches to the out drive (Alpha 1)
Cables are all new, Steering wheel assembly is perfect.
2003 Bayliner 175.
Just searching for ideas before I take out another mortgage for the boat mechanic.

thanks in advance.

Brew411

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Steering problem

Hey Bud. I'm new here so please consider that before rushing to any conclusions. I to had a sloppy steering prob on my alfa one. I'm not sure if you have the same one on your boat but this is what I found out on mine. My entire problem was the two gimble ring bolts located at the top of the out drive where it attaches to the transome. A mecanic at West Marine in Clearwater Fl. told me they needed to be re-torqued once a year to 50 to 55 ft lbs. Indeed one of my bolts was in spec and the other at 30 ft lbs or less. I was instructed to be very careful and go slow on re-torqueing because of the risk of deforming or snaping the gimble ring. So gingerly I returned the loose bolt up to 50 ft lbs. I just got back from the lake. It steers beautiful now. 2006 Sea Ray Alfa one 3.0 mercrusier. I hope this helps. Brew