Steering problem / questions

mrboat

Cadet
i have a steering issue i need to get straightend out. (lol) My boat turns great to the left, but not as far to the right. The wheel makes about 2 turns to go full left, and only 1 to go right. I disconnected the linkage, and moved the drive from left to right, and it is real smooth. no bindage. it seems to go the same distance both ways.. So then i moved my steering wheel and cable, and it doesn't bind, and it moves all the way left and right. The wheel makes about 3 turns lock to lock. i tried to move it to 1 1/2 turns to center the linkage, but the wheel sits upside down, and the linkage does not line up. i dunno what could be the problem, i bought the boat this way last year. My only guess is that someone put the cable onto the rack off-center, and this is why. any ideas??

'76 silverline Merc 888 W/ 302.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral
Re: Steering problem / questions

Sounds like one of those Nascar boats...turns great to the left but not setup for right turns....lol! Just joking..:D

It does sound like a cable issue..maybe it was replaced with the wrong cable.

mrboat

Cadet
Re: Steering problem / questions

haha- the ironic thing is i was just telling my wife i don't want another year of crazy nascar turns.. wow.

i was reading the service information, but it doesn't say much about the cable- just the sterring wheel and rack. (or maybe im blind)