Steering Prob with 3.8L OMC I/O

out_bored

Cadet
I have a 3.8L OMC I/O ('84 or '85 I think) which this forum has gratefully helped me maintain via help with engine/tilt issues in the past.<br /><br />Problem now is the steering (it's the manual steering option, with cables and pulley assembly). It has been working fine for years, though I have done nothing whatsover with the steering system. The only glitch in steering has always been a constant need to compensate/over-compensate at low speed to maintain a direction line.<br /><br />Last night, when I went to use the boat (which is now 100 miles from here) for the first time in 2 weeks, the steering is totally locked/jammed, and won't budge an inch. I didn't have time to do more than read the OMC manual, which only talks about tension adjustments, but I'm wondering if that's all that's wrong.<br /><br />Anyone run into this came-out-of-the-blue sort of steering problem, and have any hints at what might be going on?

Tufan

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Steering Prob with 3.8L OMC I/O

I'd start with the obvious, check the connection behind the engine. Disconnect the cable and try to move the out drive unit with a tool manually - If you can, you have a jammed steering box. If you cant move the out drive unit you may have different problems. <br /><br />Sometimes a good kick (on the out drive unit) works too...

out_bored

Cadet

Thanks Ghostrider, especially for the last suggestion. All I needed was permission. I'll let you know if it works this weekend.

out_bored

Cadet

It was the steering cable itself it turns out - a single strand unravelled and broke and the cut end had moved into the cable guide, never to return. I suppose the entire steering system will have to be replaced. any ideas on what the cost should be?

Bondo

Staff member

A little over $100.00.......