Steering Linkage, etc.

VI-Doug

Seaman Apprentice
First trip out on the ocean with my new (old) Pursuit 26' Console Cabin w/twin Evinrude 175s. Could have been worse, but came back on one engine. The end of the linkage rod between the engines for the steering rusted out and broke off so I was unable to steer the port engine. What is this part called??? It's like a connecting rod of some type with bearings on both end. It looks like the bearing part would unscrew to replace it.

Also, the port engine temp runs much higher than the starboard engine. It reached about 200 once, but the "HOT" light did not come on. All the lights come on during the start up so I know the light works. Water is coming out, but takes about 10 seconds after cold start to start flowing.

Another issue, the boat just had new cables and the throttle controller replaced. It takes a lot of force to push the throttles off idle, then it moves easier. It this an adjustment or does something need to be lubed?

Thanks!!!

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: Steering Linkage, etc.

It's a tie bar and not made by the engine mfgr typically. Teleflex makes most of the hydraulic steering systems used, so you might start there, unless it's a not a Baystar,
Seastar or Hynautic system.

Most of the engine controls have a friction adjustment. Where it is depends on the type. Post a photo so we know what you have.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

On that style, the friction adjustment is typically inside a removable plastic insert where the BRP logo resides. I would call BRP customer service to confirm.

VI-Doug

Seaman Apprentice

On that style, the friction adjustment is typically inside a removable plastic insert where the BRP logo resides. I would call BRP customer service to confirm.

You are correct...I'll just take a screwdriver to it and see what happens.

VI-Doug

Seaman Apprentice

The friction screws are all the way out. Not sure where the friction is coming from, but it's both throttles. Oh well, minor issue.

So about the temp gauge - at what temp does the "HOT" light come on? It never came on today, but several times I looked and the port engine was showing 220 degrees. When it showed 220 and cruising at 3300 RPM, I felt the water coming out of the telltale on both engines and the streams felt the same temp and force. I'm wondering if this could be a sensor or gauge problem and not an actual overheat issue. Shouldn't the HOT light come on before 220?

VI-Doug

Seaman Apprentice

While tinkering around with the OMS pump on the port engine I found that the butterfly was not opening at all on the lower left carb. The linkage was loose, so this carb stayed closed all the time. The piston was being dragged at the same speed as the rest while cruising at 3300 rpm, but would have been receiving less fuel/oil. Could this cause overheating?

VI-Doug

Seaman Apprentice

Bump...

Anyone think running with one cylinder starved could cause overheating? :confused:

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Why don't you verify if the motor is overheating? You could use a cheap IR gun, thermomelt sticks, or your fingers. Motors should run ~ 140 to 150?F, so you should be able to keep your fingers on a cylinder head for a few seconds w/o any problem, unless overheating.