Steering Control Problem

vbfishing

Cadet
Boat: 1990 VIP 210 CCF<br />Motor: 2000 Johnson 150 hp Ocean Runner<br /><br />The steering controls broke. I need help identifying what I have and if it can be repaired, or just replaced. <br />Steering controls under the wheel in center console broke, the wheel would stick when I turned it all the way left, and after a good tug on the wheel it would come back. I was doing my de-winterization, so was lubing controls at engine, cranked the wheel around and a plastic piece in the light/off green square metal rack where the cable comes into the rack broke. Total loss of steering! Good thing I was in the driveway, and not 2 miles out.<br /><br />So, the controls under the wheel have a square green tube that attaches to the gear from the steering wheel. I think it is a rack and pinion system?!?<br /><br />The part that is broken is the white plastic piece that holds the black cable into the light green rack.<br />Where can I get this piece?<br />Are they Johnson controls?<br />Should I repair, or just replace?<br />If I need to replace, how long should I buy the replacement cables, how do I measure?<br /><br />Thanks for help!

moderator1

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Steering Control Problem

Welcome aboard, vbfishing!<br />I'll be moving this topic to Boating topics and questions...