steering cable

gto

Seaman Apprentice
1979 17' stingray 470 sterndrive. my steering cable is froze uo on the motor end how do i get it out.I've unscrewed the cupling and the steering wheel end works fine but I can't figure out how to get it out of the sleeve on the other end.<br /> please help I'm drowning<br /><br />sorry for 2ond post still learning

Hooty

Rear Admiral
Re: steering cable

I'm not understanding your problem gto. Are you trying to remove the steering cable from the engine, or is the cable frozen in the sheath. If it's the latter, (stuck in the sheath) replace it with new cable.<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

gto

Seaman Apprentice

trying to remove it from the engine. It the cable screws thru a aluminum tube thats mounted on the back of the motor and it has a retaining nut on both sides but the end rod on cable is frozen in housing.<br /> one of them cases a picture woth a thousand words

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

think that is what Hooty means. If the cable is frozen, it really needs to be replaced.

gto

Seaman Apprentice

can't get it off with out cutting it into. guess it doesn't mater. my shifter cable seem to be frozen too it want go in gear. anu sugestions

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Before you cut a cable are you sure it is not the outdrive. Was this boat in the water all winter or not covered and on a trailer. I do not know your outdrive but mine has two grease fitting for steering shaft and in the outdrive some areas to greese. Anyone know the best thing to lube steering and shift cables with, Speedo cable grease, Teflon like triflo, light oil like 3 in one or mobile One???.

gto

Seaman Apprentice

yes it sit on a trailor uncovered for three years but I'm sure its the steering because when I loosen the big cupling nut on the end it allowed the steering wheel to turn and the slack to be on the front side in stead of turning motor. the motor will turn with link off motor.YES DUMB AND LAZY. BUT STILL NEED HELP , THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!

clanton

Rear Admiral

I think what he is trying to say is this thing is setup just like an outboard, only instead of having a tilt tube, the tube is bolted to rear of engine, and the rod on the end of the inner cable is frozen in the tube.

nnosker

Cadet

To me, it sounds like there is a bunch of gunk and crap in the steel tube. If you are talking about the steel arm that goes into the tube in front of the outboard. My steering was very tight, and i sprayed carb cleaner (just cause it was handy) in there, and it slowly moved. Just keep spraying in there, and working it in and out if you can, and it might loosen up. It is hard to explain without seeing it. I was also told not to put grease in the zirks by the arm. Causes alot of problems along with hard shifiting. We just keep it clean, and spray wd-40 or carb cleaner on the arm that goes into the tube.

gto

Seaman Apprentice

CLANTON, you have hit the nail on the head, I've lubed it with everything I can think of, even beat it with a small 2 1/2 lb. hammer it want budge any ideas, thanks in advance. also tomorrow I'm planning to drop the drive unit to see why it want go into gear any tips or advice on what needs to be replaced while the unit is off. I was getting a little water thru somthing back there I could see it even when the boat wasn't running. I just cut the bilage pump on about once an hour but that was three years ago

Forktail

Ensign

You can use a little heat on the outer tube. It will expand and usually release from the inner, especially when tapped with a hammer. A small propane plumber's torch works well. You'll need to replace the cable and clean the tube very well with emery or wire tube brush. Looks like you need new control cables too. I'd replace the bellows and any other thru-hull seals....if it sat three years.

gto

Seaman Apprentice

thanks for all the help everyone I just found this site a few days ago and think it great. I've not seen anything like it and have been into almost all the car web sites, keep up the good work and may GOD bless everyone of you.