Steering cable replacement Safe t Q

Steve135

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi I checked the search and can't finnd this answer. I have a Telflex Safety Q rotary helm with a 17 ft cable. The helm end is held in place with a cotter pin in line with the cable. I took this out to replace cabe with shorter one and the cable won't come out??? The helm is sealed not bolted together I can't take it apart! Is This type able to be replaced? I just happen to have a shorter cabel other wise they are only $120.00 bucks for a whole sytems replacement.<br />steve

Jack Shellac

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Steering cable replacement Safe t Q

It should come out. You have to turn the steering wheel to thread it out and then do it again to thread the new one in. You'll probably need a helper.

Steve135

Petty Officer 1st Class

Jack Shellac, I tryed that and it don't buge! I have installed and worked with other steering systems and know the concept. I just can't figure this out. I pulled the pin and would think the cable should drive out with the wheel? But no movement.<br />steve

Steve135

Petty Officer 1st Class

Going up! Still unable to remove the cable anybody have a clue?

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Yes... After you've removed the pin, there is a small hole in the helm assembly (about 1/8 dia. hole) that you must insert the cotter pin into to push and release the inner locking mechanism so the cable will come out.... <br /><br /> You have to push the pin in pretty hard while you pull the cable out of the helm...

Steve135

Petty Officer 1st Class

snapperbait <br />Thank you if this works your the man!!!!!!!!!!!!!<br />steve

Steve135

Petty Officer 1st Class

snapperbait You were right on Thanks it was the 3/16 hole to push in on, not the 1/8 hole but hey I push on both till I figured it out. <br />Thanks steve