steering cable question

walt-oxie1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
What size are the threads on a steering cable at the engine end? I have an old outboard I need a replacement tube (where cable threads to) and I cannot find one. I have a friend that is going to make me one but needs the thread size and pitch first. He is not a boat person and lives a few states away, so a sample would be a little difficult to provide him. Any help is greatly appreciated.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: steering cable question

what motor do you have? tilt tubes are available.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Look in the iboats store and give them a call. http://www.iboats.com/Boat_Parts_Accessories/dm/

If you friend has the ability to make the part...... he should be skilled to measure it. It is an american thread...not metric

walt-oxie1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The motor is an old Montgumery Ward 25 horse. I agree, my friend has the skill to measure it but he does not have anything to measure. The motor I have has a solid bolt, not a tube. Unfortunately, I don't have a sample tube to measure either. I did figure out the thread pitch is 14.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Normally you cannot convert a solid rod to a tilt tube, due to the design of the triple clamp and transom brackets. There is a fitting that bolts to the transom splashwell that holds the correct tube to allow the cable steering. look on the teleflex web page or a marine store.

walt-oxie1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Normally you cannot convert a solid rod to a tilt tube, due to the design of the triple clamp and transom brackets. There is a fitting that bolts to the transom splashwell that holds the correct tube to allow the cable steering. look on the teleflex web page or a marine store.

If it was not going on a well boat that would be an option. There is nothing for it to mount to. The transom sits about 3 foot in front of the rear of the boat. I have everything tore apart and don't see any issues converting it from a bolt to tube as long as the tube is threaded on both ends.