Steering Cable Measurement

bazzmaster

Cadet
I need to buy a new steering cable but cant find a good part# on my old one.. I have seen 3 different ways to measure the cable.. The most common is measure the conduit, add 22" then round up to the nearest foot... Can somebody please advise the correct way? Thanks.

Laddies

Banned
Re: Steering Cable Measurement

It would help for us to know the make of the steering system and if it's rack and pinion or rotary

Ken G

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Steering Cable Measurement

The formatting was lost but this was cut and pasted from a site who sells Teleflex systems.<br /><br /><br />Cable Steering Systems<br />This page has information on how to measure for the length of steering cable needed.<br />How To Determine Cable Length.<br />For New Installation: Measure cable routing path in boat as follows:<br />A= Center line of wheel to gunwale.<br />B= Dash to transom.<br />C= Gunwale to centerline of cable connection at the center of the tiller.<br />For Tilt Tube Mounting, add A, B & C + 6", round up to next even foot.<br />For Transom/Splashwell/Stringer Support Mounting, add A, B & C, then subtract 6" and round up to the next even foot. Order that length cable. That formula works for both rack and rotary steering.<br /><br />For Rack Steering Cable Replacement:<br />Measure Existing Cable as follows:<br />Measure plastic cable jacket (casing, dimension "Y") in inches, add 30", and round up to the next even foot. Order that length cable.<br />For Rotary Steering Cable Replacement:<br />Measure Existing Cable as Follows:<br />Measure plastic cable jacket (casing, dimension "Y") in inches, add 18", and round up to the next even foot. Order that length cable.