Steering cable + helm

1990_Bayliner

Seaman Apprentice
Hi,

I'm replacing the steering cable + helm on my 1990 bayliner capri open bow. My question is i took off the bolts from the steering wheel and am wondering if a steering wheel puller is required to disconnect the shaft from dashboard?

Thanx!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Steering cable + helm

Is the problem that the wheel is stuck on the shaft? If so, try threading the nut back on about halfway and then whack it with a hammer while pulling on the wheel. That frees up a lot of them. (you thread the nut back on to avoid damaging the threads).

1990_Bayliner

Seaman Apprentice

Is the problem that the wheel is stuck on the shaft? If so, try threading the nut back on about halfway and then whack it with a hammer while pulling on the wheel. That frees up a lot of them. (you thread the nut back on to avoid damaging the threads).

No actually i got the steering wheel off however this round piece behind the steering wheel it's stuck to the shaft and was wondering if this need to be pulled off using steering wheel puller? By the way it is very original piece so is the steering cable 1989.

Thanx

18WCmerc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

wont need a steering wheel puller, rather a pitman arm puller or generic devise, like a wiper arm puller.

Most steering is 3/4 taper shaft, with no real torque since they are keyed rather than splined.