Steering at no-wake speed

Do all stern drives steer as bad as mine at no-wake speed? I guess because they don't have a rudder per se they have little steering control. Or am I missing something??? I need something to convince the "first-mate" that she doesn't need to assume command.....<br /><br />Mike<br />PS. I bought this thing while it was in parts in a bucket and then put it together. Giggles can be had at http://community.webshots.com/user/duallydriver

Bart Sr.

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Steering at no-wake speed

Dually Driver.....I recall seeing a previous post on this subject and the responses were that lack of steering does indeed occur with stern drives and I/O units.I certainly get my fill of it with my I/O....THANKFULLY AND RESPECTFULLY>>BART SR.

Trent

Captain

Its called V-Hull wondering and it's normal for your boat to do that at idle speeds! "If you have a V-Hull boat"! But you knew that...The larger the V-Hull the more it wonders...

ODDD1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

At off-plane speeds v hull boats wander from side to side...just like a drunk sailor......you can learn to anticipate the wander and correct with the wheel before the bow swings....but explain to wife it is difficult to do when payin attention to pretty wife in co-pilots seat......

magster65

Commander

Hi, Mine does the same thing (a little), my advice would be to pop it into neutral when you go to the head. Seriously, all you can do is make sure your steering and drive pins and/or bushings are in good shape. I use ODDD1's method of steering or... he does it my way<br />Happy Yachting!<br /> :p

Pursuit2150

Chief Petty Officer

My advice is to NOT "over steer" when making a correction,oversteering will tend to force you into a zig-zag course. This same theory applies to trying to maintain a course while at sea from the data on the GPS.<br />At one point the screen will indicate 4 deg. off course, a slight turn of the wheel will give a correction in a short time,thus maintaining more of a "Straight" course.

I have this on my 180 Br. I thought it would drive me crazy until I found that by doing nothing at all.........just hold the wheel steady, it will self correct. It seems odd, but it works by just waiting a second or two and she will correct herself in the opposite direction.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

A hydra foil will help. I've had em on two boats and the don't eliminate the wander but tame it down some.