Steam from exhaust

diamonddave

Seaman
I have a 1976 Pacemaker with twin 318 Chryslers, original, I'm told. When I get up to about 3000 RPM I notice a fair amount of steam coming from the port engine, just a little from sbd engine. Should I be concerned or is this normal. What are some diagnostic I could use to determine if there is a problem. BTW one exhaust manifold was changed in '02 by the previous owner, he told me there were no other problems at that time. Thanks for your help in advance, I love this site.

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Steam from exhaust

Steam means not enough water is getting to your engine. Check for any obstructions, or a bad water pump.

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander

Could also mean that the head gaskets are shot. Are the engines running smooth?

diamonddave

Seaman

Engines both run smooth, also both run at around 150 degrees. Would'nt the one with problems run hotter?

magster65

Commander

All inboard engines steam a little. It's caused by super heated exhaust blowing into the water expelled by the risers. A little is normal, any more will mean there is trouble. Pressure test your cooling system like you would a car to check for coolant leaks.<br />Ralphs link has good info.

diamonddave

Seaman

Magster, how do you pressure test the cooling system. Also the manifold is not hot, actually cooler than the engine that does'nt steam. I get a little anxious about going over 2000 rpm. Although I do run at 2500 to 3200 sometimes and don't notice more steam it might actually be less. Again, the inboard exhaust manifold was changed by the previous owner. He did not indicate that there were any other problems at that time.

magster65

Commander

Hi Dave, get an automotive type hand pump for testing radiators and screw it on your coolant tank. Pump it up to about 10 psi and listen for any leaks or watch for any pressure drop on the guage. <br />Curious...<br />You said the previous owner only changed one exhaust manifold last year. Why one and not the others? <br />Is this steaming something that's recently started or has it always done it?<br />Very often a bad riser/manifold's first indication of failure will be steaming.

diamonddave

Seaman

Coolant tank? These are raw water cooled engines, I dont have a coolant tank. The previous owner changed the manifold because he had smoke /steam in the engine compartment, and with the diagnostic aid of local marine mechanics they came up with the manifold failure. The port engine has always steamed more than the stbd, I first noticed it during the sea trial. The broker told me that that was'nt unusual, guess I shold have looked into that deeper. The other reason I am concerned and it might be a separate issue is that I get a lot of fumes in the cockpit if I increase over 2000 rpm. The broker, during the sea-trial did run both engines up over 3000 rpm and the port engine was running warmer, but not a lot. Magster BTW are'nt your props turning backwards?