Stay 'n Charge

BassCat73

Petty Officer 1st Class
This is a product you hook up to your vehicle to charge your marine batteries while towing your boat. Here's link: raystackle.com/1ochargers.html I'm trying to find out if this product really works and if it's worth buying or not. Anyone have one or have opinions about it? Is there any good reason not to use this charger?<br /><br />EDIT: Referrals are okay, but no direct links to commercial sites. Thanks. :)

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Stay 'n Charge

There doesn't seem to be enough detail for me to form an opinion and its value is probably best determined by its price. But -- it appears the base system is nothing more than a wire harness and circuit breaker that allows you to charge the battery in the boat from the tow vehicle alternator. Not exactly rocket science and something easily done by the do-it-yourselfer. Their SmartBox apparently is a distribution box of sorts for multiple batteries used in 12, 24, or 36 volt systems. There is a lot of hype on what it does, but not how it does it. Maybe I'm just a skeptic, but if you read the ad carefully, they content they can charge a battery to 95% in 25 minutes. That may be true from the tow vehicle alternator and it would also depend on the state of charge when charging began. They would lead you to believe the SmartBox would do the same on board. I really wonder about that since most outboard alternators have nowhere near the capacity to charge a battery in 25 minutes. The SmartBox can only deliver whats put into it. It cannot deliver more than that as perpetual motion hasn't been invented yet.

Dunaruna

Admiral

I agree - not enough info.<br /><br />Maybe it's a pulse charger? Dunno. I can't see how any charger can recharge a deep to 95% in 25 minutes. <br /><br />Aldo

Holdimhook

Chief Petty Officer

Upinsmoke and Dunarua make a good point. As an oft- frustrated do- it- yourselfer, however, it has my curiosity piqued. I just might do some part- scrounging and fool around with the idea if I have time this week.

Dunaruna

Admiral

'Boatist' rigged his own type of 'car to trailer' charging system. Search his posts.<br /><br />That web site is big on claims but very small on 'how'. I'd like to know 'how'.

gonefishie

Commander

I'm using it right now, I don't charges the batt. with my outboard. The 25 minutes thing doesn't really concern me because the lake I go to most often is a 60 minutes round trip. By the time I get home and back to the lake, I have 2 fully charged batts. everytime. On average those 2 batts. probably half way drained before charging begin. It's definetely not rocket science, average Joe can put it together. I pay for it cause it already done so I don't have to mess with it plus I needed a quick solution when I bought that stuff. It not efficient at a camp site but it more convienent than other methods.