Statue of Liberty

unixgeek13

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi all...<br /><br />Does anybody know where to find what, if any, restrictions have been put on boating near Lady Liberty?<br /><br />Thanks!

CATransplant

Admiral
Re: Statue of Liberty

I couldn't find anything on the web about restrictions. There probably are some, but it ain't easy to find.

Perfidiajoe

Petty Officer 1st Class

Call the Coast Guard, Should be group N.Y., but any local station should do.

CATransplant

Admiral

The only thing I could find was from 2002...a 150 yd. limit from the island. Looks like the best place to launch is Liberty State Park in New Jersey. It's less than 2000 feet from the island. <br /><br />Nice double launch ramp with good docks, and plenty of parking. Fees are $11.00 per day. It's heavily used by fishermen. I'm sure the restrictions will be posted there.<br /><br />If you go, watch for ferries...they're everywhere. Big wakes.

CntrySngr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My uncle took us down the Hudson one year and we got stuck in a downpour. We were heading away from Lady Liberty aimed for the East River when out of nowhere the Statton Island Ferry shows up. We had right of way, but our little Bayliner didn't stand a chance against the ferry, so we had to do a sharp turn to avoid it. Scared us all to death! Watch those Ferry's! They don't stop for no one!

Perfidiajoe

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ferries & large ships can't stop! They have limited control especially if they try to make emergency manuvers. Also may have limited site of small vessels, know your whistle signals, & stay ready, & clear of large vessel traffic. Enjoy your trip, but it's no good to be dead right. Joe

CntrySngr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I should have stated that my Uncle was Auxilary Coast Gaurd at the time, and also, the Ferry left it's slip and turned immediately, they are supposed to go straight for some time before turning. I distinctly remember my uncle cussing about that as he manuevered around it.<br /><br />In any case...have a safe trip! It's fun to go see the statue from the river like that!

NYMINUTE

Captain

She is beauty from either side. NY Port Authority would be a place to call to.

m1rodrig

Seaman

Even though I know how much we boaters from Miami brag about boating down here & the perfect weather year round I have got to say I envy being able to boat by the Statue of Liberty. I only got to see her 1 time & that was more than 20 years ago when she was closed & they were renovating her, I saw her from the opposite of the Hudson through binoculars.

milkyway

Chief Petty Officer

Call the Liberty State Park (General 201.915.3400 Office 201.915.8401). Last year I personally went there, they had flyers regarding boating restrictions. They all pertained to the July 4th celebration and territorial restrictions due to the celebration. So we went anyway and this NYC patrol came towards me as if it was going to ram me. Checking who were on board. Then the helicopter hovered above us. Then they dissappeared. Wakes from ferries got my full attention.