stator visibly burned

1999 johnson 200hp ocean pro....Was out on the bay last week when I noticed my tach reading intermittantly with an associated loss in rpm,down to approx 4200 wot.With throttle back it idles fine.Just off idle it will start to shudder and shake but never quits,smooths out near mid throttle and at wot planes slightly slower and will not exceed 4200 rpm wot..pulled engine cowl and did visual insp.of magnets and stator coils.One winding on the right bank is fried,all other windings appear normal..I will definitly be changing the stator and prob. the reg/rec. but what else can I expect to be affected by this condition?And will this condition cause the symptoms I'm experiancing? I will be cleaning and retorqueing all connections from the batts to the harness terms..Lastly can any one recomend a place to obtain a shop manual and quality parts for the repair..any advice is appreciated...Thanks Bob

Re: stator visibly burned

Another question..Did OMC fix the air trapped in top of block problem in the later motors (after 95/96)?Do I need to worry about cooling the reg/rec.?I will be removing the VRO sys. during this repair.I want to eliminate any posibility of this motor causing me trouble thats witin my control..Thanks Bob

clanton

Rear Admiral

I would remove the stator screws, and upper main bearing housing screws. Clean all screw threads and threads in block, with brake clean or loctite thread cleaner, use loctite red and retorque screws with good torque wrench.

Thanks Clanton,I've read about peoples upper housings coming loose..I'll definitly do that when the flywheels off..Will the Stator being burned up cause the low rpm problem?.And what is the usual cause of the stator failing? I dont want to replace it just to burn it up again..Thanks Bob C