Stator, Triiger, Coil test results--Help with interpreting.

Korbs67

Seaman
Hi Forums,
I'm a newbe who rebuilt a Merc 60, 1989. 0B396723. I cant find any ohm testing on this forum specific to my situation so I apologize if I'm redundant.

Motor fires up instantly. runs decent on the water, only 28mph at 5,800rpm (10-13 prop) pushing a 17ft deepV tracker, a bit heavy from rain at the time I took it out. I've always been curious about testing the stator, trigger and coil. I replaced my recitifier already because I was getting any battery charge..I am now.

I'm new to these forums and I have learned a lot that has saved me time and money! Its nice to have this resource!

I used a multimeter for the resistance testing. The R values thing really confuses me. Please help me review my results. I feel like the motor runs slightly rough but i think I'm choking the motor with a high float setting..which I'm correcting today. Also, I have to move the throttle control about 1/2 way before the RPM's pickup, I would think the RPM range should be distributed across the length of the throttle movement..I know that's not on topic but if anyone can direct me to a topic on that it would be great.

Okay, here are my results I'm hoping I dont need to replace anything.. motor was cold. air temp 65.

STATOR: I only have a red, blue and two yellow leads.
Between red-blue= 5.86 (at 20k setting), Manual calls for 3.6-4.2 at Rx1000
Red to Ground= 145 (at 200 setting) Manual calls for 90-140 @rx1
* I think my stator is okay based on this??

TRIGGER: Manual calls for 11-14 at Rx100
All between white/Black. tested 2k and 20k (200 didnt give me any readings)
Brown= 1.225(2k), 1.21(20k)
White= 1.225, 1.21
Violet=1.225, 1.21

Atleast they are all consistent. If I move the decimal one to the right I'm exactly within spec. This is where my lack of multimeter conversion knowledge isnt any good !

IGNITION COIL:
between + and - = .5 on all three at the 200 setting and at 20k I get a quick flash of .03-.07. (Maual says .02-.04 at Rx1)
coil tower to either =0 (manual says no continuity)

Again, all consistent but the conversions puzzle me.

Thank you for any feedback on these results.

Sunfish12

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Stator, Triiger, Coil test results--Help with interpreting.

You need to test with a DVA adapter to get accurate voltage readings.

Korbs67

Seaman

Results are in:

Fluke/Mercury DVA used. Staticly tested.

Stator:
red-ground= 72v
blue ground= 266v

Trigger:
Vio=2.89, Wht=2.79, Brn=2.79
Grn/Red= 205, Grn/Wht=198, Green=205
Coils Greens: 202, 195,202

What I cant understand is the excellent readings for the trigger and coil greens and the seemingly reversed readings for red and blue according to what I have read...To further confuse myself I also read on these forums that the Blue is 170V+ and the Red is 25v+. If this is correct my iginition systems looks to be n fantastic shape.

Thanks for any guidance. I'd like to resolve this and move on to static idle and WOT timing, fuel and carb adjust. Kids are begging me to get them out on the water!

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

Your test seem fine as the motor is running. You will need to do a Sync and link on the carbs and timming along with getting the floats set correctly in the carbs only if the motor is giving trouble. As long as the motor is turnning 5800 RPM all seems fine. You could probly go to a prop with 1 inch more pitch and get the RPM down to 5500 as that is the normal for WOT on most motors.
Anytime you use a meter to do testing always set it to zero just before doing any test.
Just my Thoughts,
Oldman570

Sunfish12

Petty Officer 1st Class

Those readings look good. If your looking to go faster a water logged boat will slow you down.

Korbs67

Seaman

Once I do the Sync and Link I'll get it out on the water and see where I'm at. I run a 10-13 now and I'm thinking an 11-15 based on some suggestions. I have run this prop (was a backup prop but now primary) with this same motor in healthy condition at roughly 57-5800rpms. To be safe I want to run wot at 5500 and not struggle to get on plane like I always have. A 60hp motor isnt winning me any races on a 17ft deep V anyway. I'm looking for a good running motor long-term that gets me across the water for the next 10 years.

Thanks you to all who made suggestions! I'm happy to hear more suggestions but I'm considering this issue closed and will just report back which prop and rpm I landed on...even though it is slightly off topic.

Take Care All!

Ken

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander

I'd also want to know the DVA voltages on the stator's high speed windings (red-ground) at about 1000-1500rpm and at about 2500-3000rpm. You want to see them steadily climb with rpm from the 72V you got--presumably at cranking rpm--into the 130-300V range at speed.