Stator testing, 1973 85HP V4

jahughes

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I think I just bought myself a new "spare" stator, grr...<br /><br />Problem is getting no spark on all 4.<br /><br />I have diligently searched and I cannot find the post that I _thought_ I had read that told me to test resistance from Brown/Yellow to ground and from Brown to ground. These readings are infinite resistance.<br /><br />I am now reading (I think) that I should have been testing Brown/Yellow to Brown (all stator leads disconnected) and getting around 750 Ohms.<br /><br />If this is the correct test, then my old stator is fine, as is my new stator :-/ and I still have not identified my no spark problem. Yellow to Yellow test out on both around 1 Ohm, which seems to be correct.<br /><br />PLEASE, someone, confirm for me the correct test of this stator, my ding-blasted Seloc manual does not even mention the stator ohm test, and just says to check output with a neon tester, which seems to be an extinct tool. I don't have a peak reading voltage meter though I think I will have to get one soon...<br /><br />Thanks y'all...<br /><br />Jason

jahughes

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Stator testing, 1973 85HP V4

Hope I'm not breaking etiquette by posting this separately since I already had a thread going on the ignition, I'm just trying to narrow it down to the one question of testing the stator correctly, thanks for any and all info...

jahughes

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Somebody help please....<br /><br /><br />....Joe, you out there??

jahughes

Petty Officer 3rd Class

OK, I'm an idiot. I finally dug up a post from Joe Reeves to someone else with the same question and I _was_ testing the stator incorrectly. Here's the info from the other post:<br /><br />-------------------------------------<br /><br />Gwatt.... What you would be looking for pertaining to the stator is a cracking and oozing of a substance at the forward and rear portion of the stator. That is where the two large coils are located that supply 300v AC to the powerpack. The faulty area(s) may not be visible without lifting the stator to view the underside.<br /><br />If the stator appears to be perfect in appearance, with a ohm meter set to high ohms, connect the meter leads between the stator BROWN and BROWN/YELLOW leads. The proper reading would be 630 ohms +/- 75 ohms.<br /><br />Then connect the meter BLACK lead to a ground, connecting the meter RED lead to the BROWN and then to the BROWN/YELLOW stator lead. There shoulld be absolutely no reading at all. Any reading would indicate a short within the stator.<br /><br />If the stator checks out okay, remove the black/yellow wire from the powerpack and check the spark again. If you now have spark, there is a short in that wire within the engine wiring harness.<br /><br />NOTE... Be sure to torque the flywheel nut to exactly 105 foot pounds when you replace the flywheel.<br /><br />---------------------------------------<br /><br />So far, I have replaced the rectifier, which was bad, and the stator, which wasn't :-( (I'm comforting myself about the stator by telling myself that it may have been weakened by running with the bad rectifier).<br /><br />I have ohm'd out the timer base leads and they come back as expected (I forget the exact values but they were dead on as per the book), does it sound like powerpack at this point?<br /><br />Where does one get a peak reading volt meter?<br /><br />Thx,<br /><br />Jason

jahughes

Petty Officer 3rd Class

OK, got my motor running, I made the rookie mistake of starting more than one thread on this, so am trying to make amends by commenting each thread that touched on this so maybe someone can learn from whichever thread they come across in the future.<br /><br />My problem was the powerpack. I was ohm testing my stator incorrectly, on this engine you test from brown to brown/yellow leads, I was following a post for another motor and testing from brown to ground, and brown/yellow to ground. End result? New "spare" stator...<br /><br />Original problem was no spark on all 4, except that I was able to get it to light off a couple of times (out of dozens of attempts) for a few seconds. In hindsight it makes sense, if the charging cap in the powerpack was failed/flakey...<br /><br />Happy boating to you all, and thanks for the help you guys, you all are really appreciated!<br /><br />Jason