Stator Removal HELP!

captkid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
ok so ran into another bump in the road... I cant remove the Stator rotor, I guess it takes some kind of "special" tool? <br /><br />anyway around this? :confused:

captkid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Stator Removal HELP!

i am trying to remove the "alternator" on my 470... it is the origonal charging system... not sure the exact name, but the piece that spins... I have pulled the blot and washer, but the damn thing dosent budge

Bondo

Staff member

Man,..... I didn't Know $hit about the 470 till I started repling to your posts......... :D <br /><br />Yes, You'll need a Puller to remove the Rotor.....<br />And, You'll need a Press to Reinstall it.......<br /><br />captkid,<br />You Really otto Buy a Manual......<br />You're going to Need It.....

captkid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

captkid,<br />You Really otto Buy a Manual......<br />You're going to Need It.....
Bondo, hey thanks again for the info, I do have a service manual, that has helped me a bunch, but I also like learning from other peoples experiences, so thats why I post what may seem like a odd or dumb question :D <br /><br />just trying to learn from those who have as they say "been there, done that" :cool:

captkid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

can I rent a puller somewhere? or does NAPA or VIP have em? any idea on cost?

Bondo

Staff member

You might find a puller to rent.....<br />Sears has some Nice pullers, If you'd rather buy 1.....<br />A Rental Shop would be another place to look.......<br />My Clymers shows that you'll need a 3 legged puller.....<br />I'm sure a bolt Longer than stock,+ some washers, could be used as a Press, to reinstall it......

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> what bondo is trying to tell ya is that if you dont have the tools and training nessasary you may make matters worse. if you whak the rotor with a hammer at all it will nknock the magnets loose.<br /> look into the belt driven altenator conversion.<br /> good luck and keep posting.<br /> PS what manual and what page did you look for rotor removal. post me the manual part number and I will see if I can tell ya which page you need to be on.

Capt Ken

Commander

Do yourself a favor. Delete the OEM charging system and install the aftermarket alternator with the built in regulator. The OEM system is expensive to replace and for the same money, you can convert to a conventional system. Then if you ever have a problem with the charging again, the alternator is simple to remove and repair/or replace.

elpaso

Petty Officer 1st Class

Do what Cap. Ken told you<br /><br />You will save hours and dollers.<br /><br />I have done it twice, over the years.