Stator Question

ScottyB315

Cadet
My 1970 9.8 died on me the last time I took it out. The motor had been running for about 3-4 minutes before it just quit and would not restart. (I just rebuilt the carburetor and set it to factory specs.)<br /><br />I took the motor into the shop a week and a half ago. The fellas there told me a week to fix it. I stopped by several times to see what kind of progress they were making by the end of the first week they still hadn't even looked at it. They finally called me today to tell me that the wiring is shot and that the stator and coils were no good...and that it would be more than 500 dollars to fix it and maybe its time to think about a new motor.<br /><br />I don't know how reliable this shop is, and its the first time I've used them. I am inclined to just get my motor back from them and go to the salvage yard and try to recover some parts.<br /><br />I know the electrical parts can be deceptive...what are some visual signs to look for that show a stator is on its last legs or if it is still good? Also is it pretty difficult to swap in another stator?<br /><br />Thanks for any input, hopefully I can keep her running.<br /><br />Scott

marinegrh

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Stator Question

ok the price is right but the trust factor is wrong..if you cant or dont trust them. maybe its time to do it yourself..its pretty easy but you will need a service manual as my mind cant remember torque specs for all who ask...if and when you get your motor back, it may be apart already so dont be shocked..the stator if bad may have signs of burned wiring or a burned smell to it...the coils will look melted and may smell also...you may be able to find parts on ebay or through sierra or merc itself, but if you did your carb, you can do your ignitin sys as well...if they say your wiring is shot, what caused it..did you have a complete meltdown of the electrical system...., is there a short somewhere, etc..these are some questions i would ask also..let me know what you decide and i will help as much as possible to get you running again...asta potatoe for now

ScottyB315

Cadet
Re: Stator Question

Marinegrh,<br /><br />Hey thanks, I really appreciate your help. I am ordering a manual today. So far I have been using a manual from the library. But I think I am going to need the details. I found this site http://www.outboardexchange.com/outboard_parts.htm#1-8. Are you familiar with them? I think $90 for the stator including a 90 day warranty is pretty reasonable given the 300 alternative. I am going to go and pick up the motor tomorrow, and get her home and see what's up. Thanks again for your help.<br /><br />Scott