Stator leaking? 1973 85HP Johnson

jahughes

Petty Officer 3rd Class
When your stator leaks does the stuff that runs out look like green Lock-Tite?<br /><br />I have been troubleshooting a new-to-me motor with no spark, and what I took for Lock-Tite on a couple of bolt heads I'm now thinking might be stator goop.<br /><br />The 2 bolt heads that it's apparently leaked onto are right under the charge coils, if that means anything...<br /><br />Thx,<br /><br />Jason

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Stator leaking? 1973 85HP Johnson

The coils that would crack, melt down, and drip, are at the extreme front and rear of the stator. If this is the area you're speaking of, look closely at the stator, inspecting it for cracks, etc.<br /><br />If those coils leaked, there would be a sticky substance which is unmistakeable dripping down on the timer base nylon ring and the block.

jahughes

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks Joe, that's where the 2 places are, I have it on the block, right on a couple of bolt heads as mentioned, front and rear.<br /><br />If it was once sticky it may have dried out, it's hardened now, that's why I thought it might be Lock-Tite. Darkish green, sound like leakage?<br /><br />I did look at the stator, didn't see any obvious cracks, I could look closer if you think it might not be leakage. It's the OEM enclosed type.<br /><br />Thx!<br /><br />Jason

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Possibly the stator has already been replaced, but if you're not sure of that, I'd suggest that you remove the stator and examine the bottom of it. I've seen many where the leakage was visible simply by looking under the flywheel, but others looked okay until I removed them, then the leakage became evident.

jahughes

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I hadn't thought of it having already been changed out, good point, but since it also fails ohm test (infinite from both charge coil leads to ground) I'm thinking it may be the stator.<br /><br />I did pull it before putting up the post, I'll pop it off again and take a much closer look, the older I get the more I have to squint to see some things...<br /><br />It did have a blown rectifier that I changed early in the troubleshooting, I think I remember reading on another post that a rectifier problem can cascade into a stator failure, is that correct?<br /><br />Thx again,<br /><br />J

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

A bad rectifier will result in having the voltage, that normally converts from AC to DC to charge the battery, back up at the stator. This results in excessive overheating of the stator and its failure (cracking/leaking).

jahughes

Petty Officer 3rd Class

OK, went out and removed the stator again, squinted and grimaced and can't see any obvious cracking, no green goo on the stator itself either.<br /><br />There is, on the outside of the stator ring at each charging coil, what looks like about 1/2 inch of the edge of each charging coil just peeking through the surface, but no goo trail.<br /><br />Perhaps previous owner replaced and re-blew the stator due to not changing the failed rectifier, unfortunately I am not able to contact him since he apparently gave up in frustration and had a towing company come and take the boat away, which in turn sold it to this intrepid backyard mechanic for the proverbial song...<br /><br />Guess it's time to order a new stator (based on the ohm test results), cross the fingers and hope I don't have to call that towing company myself! ;-)<br /><br />Thanks all for the info, any last thoughts appreciated, I'll be sure and post a followup on resolution (hopefully) when I have the new stator installed.<br /><br />Jason

jahughes

Petty Officer 3rd Class

OK, got my motor running, I made the rookie mistake of starting more than one thread on this, so am trying to make amends by commenting each thread that touched on this so maybe someone can learn from whichever thread they come across in the future.<br /><br />My problem was the powerpack. I was ohm testing my stator incorrectly, on this engine you test from brown to brown/yellow leads, I was following a post for another motor and testing from brown to ground, and brown/yellow to ground. End result? New "spare" stator...<br /><br />Original problem was no spark on all 4, except that I was able to get it to light off a couple of times (out of dozens of attempts) for a few seconds. In hindsight it makes sense, if the charging cap in the powerpack was failed/flakey...<br /><br />Happy boating to you all, and thanks for the help you guys, you all are really appreciated!<br /><br />Jason