STATOR HELP ON Xr2

fd203

Cadet
Morning you all, I am having a problem with identifying the correct stator to use, I took my boat out last season ran great for a few minutes and all then suddenly bogged down and would only run at about 1700 rpm. took to a small outboard shop and he said it looked like the high speed on stator so I told him to replace. low and behold he went out of buisness and I got my boat and motor back minus the stator, so here I am the motor ID looks to be BB129328 but its so faded its hard to see and by all that I read it could either be a 16 volt stator or a 9 volt. does anyone know which one a possible 1988 Xr2 150 merc would use or it might possibly be a 1986, also does that symptom sound like a stator to begin with because I am kinda questioning the shop because I figure being a shody mechanic is why he's not there. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Laddies

Banned
Re: stator question on Xr2

The 9 amp stator used a rectifier (3 wires) and the 16 used a regulator (5 wires)

fd203

Cadet

Laddies thank you, you were right on target with the help on my last outboard question a year ago so I appreciate all your input but how about another stupid question, the wires the wires I am looking for are located where?

LaGaviota

Seaman Apprentice
Re: STATOR HELP ON Xr2

I also have a 150hp v-6 merc and I had a nightmare of a problem with a dropping rpm under load. sometimes it would drop to 3,000rpm and sometimes as low as 1,900rpm. I gave up and handed it over to a mechanic, but he is struggling with pinpointing the issue. when you solve your problem...if it is the stator, could you please send me a message? Thanks.

j_martin

Admiral

The 9 amp stator used a rectifier (3 wires) and the 16 used a regulator (5 wires)

In the old days, the 16 amp used a rectifier also, and usually a 3 wire shunt type regulator. Sometimes a five wire regulator was substituted aftermarket to improve the system.

Odds are it's a 16 amp stator. 9 amp on a v6 is racing stuff. That's a fishin' motor.

Without the original stator, it's hard to diagnose the original proplem, but high speed coil failure will often have those symptoms. So will a lot of other things, like coils triggers, and switchbox's.

Should be lots of used stator's around. Any v6 16 amp will work. As I remember, only the suffix number changes in the part number, with several 16 amp, and several 9 amp numbers. If you look up a cdi replacement chart, you can figure it out.

If you lost the screws also, be careful that when you put new ones in, they don't interfere with the movement of the trigger. The size is 10-24, as I remember, and I had to trim the length of a standard screw to fit. Torque is critical as there is very little aluminum thread to hold it, and if it comes loose, it's tragic. A little blue locktite is a must also.

hope it helps
John

j_martin

Admiral
Re: STATOR HELP ON Xr2

If your serial number is valid, any bonifide mercury mechanic should be able to cross it to the right parts diagrams and get the number for the stator.

Mercury parts express used to do that, but they have messed it up. There site is now pretty............useless.

John