stator change 1988 70hp 3cyl

shipoffools

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am replacing what I believe to be the 9 amp stator on this engine with the replacement 16 amp red stator kit (398-832075a5) which number rectifier/regulator should I use with this stator? This motor currently does not have a regulator on it, the rectifier is the one with the terminals in a triangle shape. any help would be appreciated.

jpollman

Seaman
Re: stator change 1988 70hp 3cyl

Hi there,
it's funny you posted this now. I've been dealing with this exact same situation all weekend long. But I can't get final confirmation until tomorrow morning. A few weeks ago I replaced my regulator because I was having an overcharging situation. After replacing the regulator I still had the problem. Yesterday I pulled off the flywheel only to discover that I had a 9 amp stator installed. From what I've been told, you don't need a regulator with a 9 amp stator. Just a rectifier is all they use. I'm just going to order a 16 amp stator and install it. I'm hoping that solves my probem. Currently the regulator I'm running is a CDI # 194-5279 and I believe that will match up with the 16 amp stator #174-2075K2. (These are all CDI part numbers)
My motor is a '91 Merc 90 hp 3 cylinder but that part number you list in your post (398-832075A5) is the OEM part number that Merc lists for the stator in my motor.

I think whoever worked on my boat prior to my buying it just installed the wrong stator. As I said, it's only a 9 amp and I believe those are only used on manual start engines. Being that mine is an electric start I'm sure that it should be the 16 amp.

John

shipoffools

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: stator change 1988 70hp 3cyl

John,

Thanks for the info! I read through your post about the charging problems you had in hope that there would be a bit of info in there to help. I'm not sure how this engine ended up set up like this, it was my Dad's and I know the stator has never been changed. In addition to the old one being bad I hope the upgrade will improve battery charging.
Good Luck and Thanks.