stator and timing base resistance?

qflex1115

Seaman Apprentice
I HAVE A 99 JOHNSON 130HP. NO SPARK CONDITION. I CHECKED THE OBVIOUS ALREADY. I JUST NEED TO KNOW IF I DONT GET A OHMS READING AT ALL FROM THE BROWN AND BROWN/YELLOW FROM THE STATOR DOES THAT MEAN MY STATOR IS BAD? AND IF I DONT HAVE A OHMS READING FROM MY WHITE TO PURPLE WIRE FROM MY TIMER BASE BUT IT READS 43.5 OHMS TO THE OTHER WIRES, DOES THAT MEAN I HAVE A BAD TIMER BASE. I DONT HAVE A DVA SO I'M HOPING I COULD FIND OUT WITH JUST AN OHMS TEST......CAN ANYONE HELP? :confused:

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: stator and timing base resistance?

my first step would be to unplug the ignition harness and jump the solenoid, and see if you have spark.

qflex1115

Seaman Apprentice

i've checked that before and i just checked it again to make sure, and still no spark. i have done all the other tests, i am now down to the stator and timer base.

sc1100

Recruit

I am not sure about the 130 but if it helps I have a 140 and had a problem where I was getting no spark on the number one cylinder only. I found an open reading from the white to the green wire on my timer base. I ordered a new timer base and tested the ohm readings on the new base. I had 35 ohms from the white to the other wires on each timer base plug respectively. Once I replace the timer base I got the spark back on the number one cylinder.

qflex1115

Seaman Apprentice

yeah i have already done that and thats where i'm at right now. i have done the ohms test and i dont have a dva, so i was wondering if the readings i got are worth buying a new timer base? i know i have to get a new stator.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i usually hunt them on ebay. i found stator and base for $50.00 the other day.

qflex1115

Seaman Apprentice

thanks everyone for your reply............ he's going to go ahead and buy a brand new stator and timer base. now i'm wondering if i have to do a sync and link or just anything with the timing now that i/m changing the timer base......any ideas?