State Park Info?

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral
GOV Daffy Taft has done it again. The state parks in Ohio have always been free. Of course camping and cabins you have to pay fees for.<br /><br />Yesterday it was confirmed that there will be a $5.00 fee per car per day. State residents can purchase seasonal passes for $25.00. Not sure if that is for a family or car pass. I haven't heard anything about if this applies to the boat ramps and parking area. I hope there is nothing hidden for boats and trailers being extra. I wouldn't put it past them to do that.<br /><br />Now with money being evaporated in Columbus, they still need more. Now remember this govenor was at the bottom of a list of the 50 states. The money that is collected at each park is used at that park. If you violate without paying, your fine goes to the states general fund. I feel this isn't right, it could at least be split up some to benefit the park. <br /><br />I'm really curious on how it is at the other 49 states that has parks. So does your state charge for the use of the park?<br /><br />Actually as much as I complain about how much goes to this state, I would rather do this than have the income tax raised.

rogerwa

Commander
Re: State Park Info?

Our parks as well have been fee parks for as long as I can remember. If they weren't, they would be open and available. $5.00 seems pretty reasonable to me. I think we pay more than that..<br /><br />Wisconsin is Fee parks as well..

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant

Been that way up here for a bit too. If it is the same, the $25.00 is for the car. We used to be able to buy a camping pass for $100. They did away with that :( It was much more beneficial for me to buy the pass than to pay each time.<br />One advantage I have seen, is an improvement in the upkeep of the facilities. Unless you count the ones they closed.<br /><br />AK Chappy

gonfishn

Commander

I think I have spent about 600 bucks so far this year on lures and such. I'm not even on the water yet..So whats another 25 if they use it to keep up the parks and not give raises..

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

gonfishn, I heard today that there were about 230+ rangers back in the 80's. Now we only have under 90. Hopefully this will add a few to help patrol our lakes and parks more frequently.

Laddies

Banned

Mayfloat, here in Michigan their trying to figure out a way to charge us for the air we breath after all it must belong to the state somehow--Bob

cajun555

Chief Petty Officer

I hear ya SS. But 5 bucks a car load isn't a bad fee. Here in Tx., the fee can range from 2 t0 4 bucks a person, per day in addition to camping fees, depending on what park you visit.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Here in Ky. you pay to camp, some ramps have launch fees, I buy mine by the year, but have not heard of anything like that to go into a state park here.

dhammann

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sounds like a deal if they lower state taxes....sure!!!

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Ever since I can remember Johnathan ****inson State Park has had an entrance fee.. I have'nt been there in quite a few years, but I believe the fee was $2.00 last time I went up there...<br /><br />I would assume other Florida state parks have similar entrance fees..

jinx

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Count on fees in Virginia State Parks. Unfortunately our state park system lags behind the rest of the country. On the plus side, there are a lot of US facilities--National Forests, Shenandoah Nat'l Park and many Battlefields that are here.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by cajun555:<br /> I hear ya SS. But 5 bucks a car load isn't a bad fee. Here in Tx., the fee can range from 2 t0 4 bucks a person, per day in addition to camping fees, depending on what park you visit.
or for $60 you can get a "Conservation Passport" good for a year's worth of admission for you and everybody in your car.<br /><br />No extra charge for boat launching. Some of the parks have a concessionaire-operated marina.<br /><br />For what it's worth, the parks are really top-notch, I think a good value for the $$.

NYMINUTE

Captain

Counties here in Indiana have annual passes available. Costs are now $5.00 for residents, abit more for out of state. That sure lures the tourists. Like Michigan, they will tax our breath if there is a way.

eeboater

Commander

I wonder how much it will cost to print the tags, build the buildings to accept payments, pay people to patroll for stickers, hire people to take payments, install little gates...

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Double EE, they have said it is going to cost $300K to put in gates that will accept the money. We have only 75 state parks here in Ohio.<br /><br />Finding out that we have been free for so long, it only figures that we should charge like our other states do. It is sad though that a percentage of our income tax is to go to the parks while we still have to pay a fee. <br /><br />With the raising of the hunting/fishing license 2 times in the past 6 years, I would thing\k that would have been sufficient to help take care of the parks. Apparently Daffy Taft didn't think so.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by SS Mayfloat:<br /> ...With the raising of the hunting/fishing license 2 times in the past 6 years...
you guys don't get dinged every year? land o' luxury!!

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

sh*t ... need to spend some time up around these parts SS .. <br /><br />state 'parks' my ARSE! ... they're state drain holes not parks here! suckin money out of anyone that wants to use 'em or just drive trough 'em<br /><br />one way or another they're going to get your money .. they'll hide it where ever.

Link

Rear Admiral

Well up until a couple years ago all of our state parks were free. To just park and picnic etc <br />Then they put a $5.00 parking fee in place.<br />The state lost money last year and will again this year.<br />A typical day for us is to hit maybe 5-12 in a day along with other sites of intrest.<br />We pay at the first and blow off all the rest.<br />Hmmm<br />Don't I already pay a fee for public land use?<br />Sure I do. $10.00 and I must have the sticker or get a fine of $70.00 ... <br />Not going to pay at all this year.

dhammann

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am fortunate enough to live adjacent to a National forest on one side of my property and a NC State Park on the other side just across the lake. Both have FREE admittance but charge for amenities such as camping, using swimming pool, canoe rental, cabin rental, etc. These small fees are fine with me as you feel that you are getting something in return. If you are a taxpayer and stone broke you should have the right to at least carry your family to the park. This is the way it is in NC and if your state charges admittance fees I would protest like Hell…..these parks belong to the taxpayers. We have turned into a Nation of passive wimps to the government….our forefather would be ashamed!!

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

Nebraska has done this as long as I can remember. Itis around $20 for an annual permit. Camping in most campgrounds is free, unless you want electricity or other comforts of home. You can also get daily permits and 3 day permits not bad priced. The money goes to pay for the State Parks, to suppliment other money marked for the park systems. Problem though, western Nebraska never gets the good stuff like eastern Nebraska around Lincoln and Omaha. State parks there have cabins, water parks, but out here they are just keeping up. <br />The nice thing though, once you've paid the permit, MOST parks are free to camp, boat launches are free, public showers are free. Only thing they charge for is electric hookups for those ruffin it.