Starts when it wants to

crgross1

Cadet
A 1997 Mercury OB 150HP Model# 1150422TD <br />Serial # 0G530666<br />This engine will cold start and warm start fine most of the time but sometimes:<br />There is no reaction when the key is turned to the start position. It reacts like the battery is totally dead - which it's not. <br />Other pertinent info when this occurs:<br />1- You can try starting it again and sometimes it will start and sometimes not. Eventually it will start.<br />2- Gauges all fall to zero when the key is turned to start.<br />3- Usually you will get mutiple beeps.<br />4- Sometimes all guages go crazy after start.<br />5- Ignition switch, kill switch, engine control, including neutral safety switch and battery are all new.<br />6- ALL engine and battery cables have been thoroughly cleaned.<br />Are the voltage regulator(s) or the starter solonoid possible culprits<br />Please help with this gremlin - we are at our wits end trying to solve this problem.

gss036

Commander
Re: Starts when it wants to

You have a wire bundle that connects the boat wiring to the engine harness. It is usually on the starboard side of the engine, tucked in under the starter. Pull it out of the detent, pull apart and check for arcing(? sp)across the conections, you have a male/female, clean up the pins and female ends. I say this because I had mine arc/burn across the connection and left me stranded last year. One other area that that come to mind is the safety switch in the throttle position. Next would be a loose/corrided ground connection. Good leck, keep posting.