starting woes

kajnjim

Petty Officer 3rd Class
1977 25hp Johnson. Unsuccessfully attempted to start after sitting for winter. Noticed carb was flooding. Removed carb and noticed one of the four screws holding the 2 halves of the carb together was missing. Took carb apart and cleaned with carb cleaner. Installed carb and now I'm not getting any gas to carb. Fuel pump is pumping fuel. Sprayed some gas in carb and it ran for a few seconds, so I'm pretty sure the carb is just not getting fuel. I removed the hose from the fuel pump to the carb and it is clear. Can anyone tell me what I need to do next with the carb to allow fuel to it. When I took the carb apart to clean it, the float moved easily. Any adjustments or does it sound like I need a rebuild? Thanks.

Jim

iwombat

Captain
Re: starting woes

You probably need to adjust the float level, or you may have a stuck float needle. Give it another check, and set the float according to your manual.

kajnjim

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Took the carb apart again. Noticed a very small amount of scoring on tip of float valve. I think I'll just buy a carb kit and replace the float and float valve and valve seat and the gaskets. Thanks again.

Jim

kynolan2183

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Jim,

You mentioned a missing screw. I hope you found it. If not i would be worried about where in the motor it is.

On your carbs kits try to avoid the ones with the rubber tips ( there is an official names for them) get stainless needles and brass seats.

Kyle

kajnjim

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I replaced the screw. Looked all over and never found the missing screw. I will be going to the marine parts store today. Thanks for the heads up on the kits. If they don't have the kit I need, I will get the Sierra kit from ishopmarine. Thanks again.

Jim

kajnjim

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hit a little snag while rebuilding carb. There is a piece in the rebuild kit that is not presently in the carb and I'm hoping someone can ID it and let me know where it goes. It is apparently part of the float valve assembly, because it was in a package with only parts for the float valve. Seems to be a small spring. Less than a half inch long. No reference in OEM manual. Photo is attached. Thanks.

Jim

Attachments

• 100_2647.jpg
    100_2647.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 0

iwombat

Captain

That's a clip that goes around the top of the float needle and attaches to the float tab. It keeps the needle from sticking closed.

The small bend goes around the needle and the large bend goes around the float tab.

kajnjim

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Could this have caused this whole mess? And what could have possibly happened to the original??????

kajnjim

Petty Officer 3rd Class

OK, I think I got it. Please confirm. Photos attached. (hopefully they are clear enough) Thanks again iwombat for all your help.

Jim

Attachments

• 100_2649.jpg
    100_2649.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 100_2650.jpg
    100_2650.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 0

kajnjim

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks alot. Now I'll get 'er back together and see what happens.

Jim

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Just for information sake, the float valve needles that look like they are solid metal are not. The points are silver colored, but they are still rubber.

iwombat

Captain

I could be wrong, but I don't think the older carbs came with that little clip. If all is working okay, fuel pressure and a little gravity will open up the needle valve w/o any assistance from the float pulling on it. These just help a little bit if something is sticky.

That clip helps with the opposite of what your original problem was - sticking open.

kajnjim

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ezeke and iwombat, thanks again for all the info. Put her back together (with clip) and re-installed. A few squeezes of the primer bulb and a push of the starter button and a slight adjustment of the slow speed needle and she's purring like a kitten! Calcasieu River, here we come. Thanks again guys.

Jim

iwombat

Captain

You're posting a picture of that first lunker, right?

kajnjim

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Sounds like my dad talkin'. Must be a displaced certified coonass! Laissez Les Bon Temps Roullier!!!

Jim

Kajun37

Petty Officer 1st Class

mais yea..orginally from da big town of jennings :)