Starting Woes 1984 Evinrude 70 hp

Steve135

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi, I just dropped this engine on the boat this year. Started right up a 1/2 dozen times in past two weeks, getting it ready for the season.I had this problem late last season but it went away so I thought. I have a new solenoid I also have to old one that works, I just replaced it, looking coreded! The wires have been checked and the fuse is good and replaced. Today it won't start via the key. Just dead silence.Choke works! I did what always works I jumped the starter from bottom battery wire dirctly to the starter and it stars right up. This is what ussally fixes the whole problem. I turn it off and it normally starts with the key.<br />But today because I was putting it in for the season noway it just don't want to do a thing! And of coarse its 37 degrees today because I am off work,it was 80 degrees yesterday!The only thing I can think of left to do is go back to the key switch its 2 years old? Is there a test for the solenoid I can do?<br />steve

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Starting Woes 1984 Evinrude 70 hp

Get yourself a voltmeter and start measuring volts on your starter circuits. It might be something as simple and a loose connection. I once had that happen simpley because the battery wasn't tight enough.

Steve135

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks started that today. I have suspect connection at the wire harness plug.I think I have intermitent voltage at the key. If it would just warm up a little outside,I will clean and check all the pins.<br />steve

Steve135

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi after a couple of problems the fix was found. I had a broken wire comming off the solenoid to the switch. And I also had a bad solenoid that was only about 15 hrs old? All is well and I will launch tomorow. Easter Sunday and get some of those tasty flounder.<br />steve