starting trouble

jrc27

Seaman
it seems as if the bendix is stuck in th up position, when key is turned it grinds.. is there a way to release it so it drops back down?

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: starting trouble

jrc27 <br /><br />Try giving it a shot of WD-40 to see if that will loosen it up. There should be a spring on the top of the gear that pushes it back down.

cacervera

Cadet

Check battery voltage, it may be that the battery dont have enough power to move engine.

jrc27

Seaman

tried wd-40 and it didn't help.. i can spin it back down.. but when i turn key it goes up and stays up.. causing it to grind a bit ... need help..

TimW

Seaman Apprentice

Like Loco said, it sounds like the starter is getting just enough juice to spin, but not enough to turn the engine over. Make sure your battery is good and has a full charge, check all electrical connections from the battery up to the starter. Don't forget to check the block ground.<br /><br />Or, you might have a stuck piston or some other internal problem that is preventing the engine from turning over. Try taking the plugs out and turning it over by hand to check for this, or using the rope starter if equiped.

jrc27

Seaman

could it possibly be the solenoid causing this? if so how can i test it or jump it to see if it works?

Sal G

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Check ALL electrical coonections- especially to solenoid.

jrc27

Seaman

thanks for the help guys, took the starter off to get it checked/rebuilt turns out the brushes were shot and the bendix gear was shot also...