Starting Question

Jeremy90bay

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 1990 Force 50 hp (507x90D) She has been running great. The only thing is I can only start it in the high idle position. And if I pump the bulb at the first start it floods. What could this be? I checked the fuel pump diaphram and it looks old but not torn. I will replace it anyway. Anything else I should look at?

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Re: Starting Question

It's very easy to flood these motors. If you're holding the choke in more that 2 or 3 seconds on each attempt, then there is a chance you may flood the motor. Once it's flooded then it take a lot longer for it to fire. Neutral fast idle position is the quickest way to overcome this condition.

When you pump the bulb, does it get firm? If so needle valve in the carburetor is sealing correctly, however, if the float level is set too high, it will allow too much gas into the motor.

If the bulb doe not get firm, then the needle valve is not sealing properly resulting in a rich mixture. It should be replaced.

Make sure you have a good set of plugs and they're not fouled.

Jeremy90bay

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Starting Question

It does not get firm but I have never had trouble with getting fuel to the motor. Its running great other than starting it. I have to use the fast idle position even if I shut it down for 1 minute. Do you think I should rebuild the carb or just clean it or just leave it alone?