Starting question

Big Ears

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 75hp 84 Mariner with OMC control.<br />Just been rebuilt, new stator, starter motor, rectifier, at least 80% of wiring etc etc.<br />Starts fine when key pushed in ( choke position) but without choke the motor doesn't turn over, just get a click like I have a flat battery which it can't be as I have just bought a new 15 plate marine battery. I'm thinking I might need to check my ignition switch, have you guys got any tips.<br />Thanks again in advance, you guys / gals are priceless.

rabidfish

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Starting question

I am guessing that with the key "pushed" in, tyhe starter circuit isn't making contact inside the switch. Check it with a voltmeter/test light.

Big Ears

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Starting question

Thanks Rabid, I might need to clarify. The key start is in the 12'o clock position when off, to start with choke I have to push key in, then turn to the right while holding the key in. Starts fine. If I turn it to the right, from off to start, without the key held in, I get the click and no start scenario. I guessing I could apply your tip regardless. Thanks again for the advice, its amazing that I can post a question at around 7.15am Sunday morning, Sydney time, and get a response within 4 minutes !!!!!!!!!!!!!<br />Thanks againg Rabid and to all you IBoats saviors.<br />PS> I actually diagnosed and fix a small fuel leak yesterday all by myself, - amazing huh!