Starting Procedure - Yamaha 140hp 1994 V4 2 Stroke

kix766j

Cadet
rodbolt, i tried your suggestion below on my 140 Yammi 2 stroke 1994..

proper starting procedure for the s150 and the 140 is, trim the motor down, pump up the bulb, advance the throttle so it will start about 1500 RPM then turn the key on, depress the key or the choke toggle, and while keeping the choke engaged crank the engine.
2 strokes with carbs and choke shutters simply dont like to start cold without applied throttle AND choke.
the 90c has prime start which only requires the key to be placed in the start position.
the s150TXRX and the 140 require operator participation to crank cold.

This procedure is working fine for me when the motor has been running for a while and then cools off for anywhere between 2-5hours.
BUT,
once it's been off for, say, 2 or 3 days and i use the above procedure it does not start up. it coughs and nearly starts up for 3-4 times and then just keeps turning without starting up.
When this happens i have to leave it 'calm down' for around 5 mins and try again only for it to do the same thing over again.

I noticed that the only way to start it up (after like 20mins) is to leave it for 5-10mins and then starting up without throttle applied and without choke. Once it starts up, i slowly apply throttle to around 1300-1500rpm (with a huge cloud of white smoke obviously)

Now it must be noted, that before this started happening i had to clean the carbs (with carb cleaner spray & carb cleaner additive to fuel tank).

This Yammi works perfectly fine once it is started up and never troubled me in any way. I also changed the spark plugs last week and made sure that the spacing is 1.0mm as per manual. i noticed that the spark plugs wer a little bit wet but i presume this is normal once it is taking so long to start up when cold and it gets flooded..

appreciate any help on this subject,
thanks
Keith