Starting problems 1985 V4 Johnson 140 hp

Jim Robbins

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi, I have been having starting problems with my 1985 Johnson 140 hp
(J149TLCO) has a V6 lower end gear case. I don't know the full history of motor, I was told motor was rebuilt in 2000, there are new gaskets ect.
The VRO system was just by-passed and I mix the fuel 50/1 (in metal 5 gal. tanks, hose runs to a mounted "new" fuel filter can) and into the motor.
The plugs that were in this motor were "QL78YC", the manual tells me "L77J4", and the forum said that I should use "QL77JC4" so this is what I put in the motor. What is a "looper" ? Do I have one on this motor?
So when I start my motor(cold): pump up the fuel bulb till firm, lift the warm up lever 1" to 1 1/2" , push the key straight in, turn key approx. 7 to 10 seconds. Stop wait a bit, try again , check fuel bulb firmness, Try again and again. IF it starts, let motor warm up and I can leave dock. I drive at various speeds for 20 35 mins, and I stop and drift fish or whatever, turn off motor , 15 to 20 mins. pass and I want to start motor again and it will not start?
lift warm up arm a bit, no warm up arm, lots of warm up arm, no matter what I try. Sometimes it will start, but never consistent. I had to go back to the ramp with my kicker. This motor is not reliable!
What do you think I should do, or have a marine mech. check out?
Any and all advice is greatly appreciated, and thank-you!

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: Starting problems 1985 V4 Johnson 140 hp

Your cold start will be quicker and smoother if you hold the key in while cranking the engine instead of before cranking.

The fuel you get to the carburetor before cranking has no way to reach the firing chambers without the pistons pulling it.

Your engine is a looper rather than a crossflow.

Once the engine has warmed, you may find it easier to start without the choke or the warm up lever, but be sure to squeeze the fuel bulb before each start, cold or warm.