Starting Problem

ParisDakar

Recruit
I have a 1979 Johnson 150 V6 that is very difficult to start. Takes at least 30 seconds of cranking with choke on, lever up, and the fuel bulb pumped hard before it kicks over. I've been using a shot of starting fluid to get it to fire to avoid killing the starter motor. Once warmed up, and even after not running for several hours, starts easily with lever up, maybe a spot of choke, but nowhere near as stubborn as when stone cold. Tilt engine up for shallow water idle and it gets weak and sometimes quits. Also hesitates when opening the throttle, which only goes away when fully warmed up. Sounds like lack of fuel, so what to check? Any thoughts? Thanks.

almost retired again

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Starting Problem

Hydra sport;<br />Sounds to me like carb cleaning time, paying particular attention to float level.<br />Lots of luck

almost retired again

Chief Petty Officer

O h by the way stay away from starting fluid it's very hard on outboards. If you must use something try the older WD-40.

CAPTBLACKSMARINE

Petty Officer 2nd Class

you may consider either taking it to a certified technician or get the factory service manual for this engine and go through the sync and lync procedures you would be amazed at how much difference this will make in how the motor starts and idles when all of the linkages and timing are set exactly right