Starting New Engine 1st time

Hey. Just wanted to ask a couple of questions before I attempt to fire up my engine for the first time after a repower. 4.3L omc cobra i/o 1988.

Someone told me that I should take off the outdrive before I start the engine incase the u joints are worn? I guess he said you could cause damage to the coupler? Just wanted to see what you guys think. Id rather not take it off.. I inspected the u joints when i replaced the bellows / gimble bearing / and aligned the engine.

The other question is.. this is a brand new engine. What are the break in / first time starting procedures that I should follow? Any tips you guys have for me? Thanks again!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: Starting New Engine 1st time

If this is a new engine, the drive would have been removed already to put the engine in. Weren't the u-joints inspected at that time?

If this is a new engine, the drive would have been removed already to put the engine in. Weren't the u-joints inspected at that time?

Yes.. the drive was off and the u joints and everything else was inspected..so Im assuming all is well with it.

bamadave

Petty Officer 1st Class

I always install a mechanical oil gauge so I can see the oil pressure come up (I don't rely on the boats oil pressure gauge, could be faulty or inaccurate), disconnect the ignition, spin engine to get oil pressure up. As soon as I see the oil pressure up, reconnect ignition, prime cab (not ether), and start. Good Luck

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Depending on how long the engine has been sitting, I would pull the distributor and operate the oil pump before cranking. If the engine was assembled properly and lubed upon assembly, I could see cranking it first without the ignition as being satisfactory.

MBAKER

Petty Officer 1st Class

If this is a compeletely fresh engine with flat tappet cam , you wouldnt want to crank very long before startign it or you would wipe the cam lube off and risk flattening a lobe on the cam.

With a flat tappet cam I would think about adding some extra breakin protection like Comp Cams break in lube. Along with a good oil. The oil you buy today isnt ideal for flat tappet cams anymore.

Depending on how long the engine has been sitting, I would pull the distributor and operate the oil pump before cranking. If the engine was assembled properly and lubed upon assembly, I could see cranking it first without the ignition as being satisfactory.

This may be a dumb question, but how do I crank the engine over without the ignition? Do you mean just pull out the distributor and turn the key?

1976SRV190

Seaman

This may be a dumb question, but how do I crank the engine over without the ignition? Do you mean just pull out the distributor and turn the key?

NO NO! you pull the distributor, stick a big flat head screwdirver head on a electric screw gun, in the hole and align it with the slot in the top of the oil pump, turn it a bunch of times.....

That pumps oil pressure up, then reinsert the distributor and set the static timing and fire that puppie up. Remember to let it run at 2000rpm to break in the cam for at least 10 minutes.......make sure you have oil pressure prior to the 2K run though!

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner

If you're gonna prime the pump with a screwdriver or drill make sure you spin it the correct way. Spinning it backwards only blows bubbles into the oil pan

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

NO NO! you pull the distributor, stick a big flat head screwdirver head on a electric screw gun, in the hole and align it with the slot in the top of the oil pump, turn it a bunch of times.....
Instead of using a screwdriver, you can buy the proper tool from an auto parts store for the job.

1976SRV190

Seaman

Instead of using a screwdriver, you can buy the proper tool from an auto parts store for the job.

Or Summet racing or Jegs or a lot of places...but a long flat on a screw gun works great like if said, you turn it the right direction which is the direction of the distributor!