starting motor out of water

redone

Cadet
i just tryed to start my 89 115 marinier(?) with hose adapter and could not get any water out of the pee hole . what did i do wrong? had the water pressure about 3/4 .too much pressure?also water was seeping past muffs had all holes covered. water pump worked fine last time boat was in water.

prolinews

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: starting motor out of water

take a small wire and clean the pee hole might be clogged.

andrewkafp

Lieutenant Commander

Is this the first time you have used the muffs on this motor ? If,not how was the delay last time?<br />On this big banger, you most likely have a thermostat or 2 and the pee-er won't start until it warms up a bit. It is normal for water to come out everywhere around the L/U during flushing.<br />Run it with 3/4 pressure for a couple of minutes (No longer) If no pee, push some wire up the Pee tube, as it may have some gunk in it. If there is still no pee, the impeller may have de-laminated and it's time for a WP service, which should be done every few seasons anyway.<br />BTW Never run without water as the impeller can de-laminate from the brass bush.

gss036

Commander

If you run it in the salt like I do, check your thermostats for salt build up, I just changed mine and they were about 75% plugged up. I had depened on the mechanic to keep an eye on that when doing the head gaskets every 3 years, but no such luck. <br />If you have a small nozzle of some sorts for the end of your water hose, pull the hose loose on the inside of the cowling where the hose connect to the pee-hole outlet and spray water into the hose. That will help sometimes in freeing up the poppet valve if it is stuck open and letting all the water go out the exhaust. Do the above while the motor is NOT RUNNING.