starting issues

Jeffneal1988

Cadet
have an 74 Evinrude 115hp starflite and for some reason I can only get the boat started with the warm up lever on. After I get it started it seems to run fine. Ill shut it down and try to start again and I have to use the warm up and and hold up the choke every time I start. It will never crank on first try always have to do these 2 things any ideas as to whars going on

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Any sign of fuel leaking from the carbs? Possible that the fuel system has an air leak, either in a hose or a hose connection. Keep in mind any original hoses from 1974 were not made to accommodate today's ethanol-blended fuels. The ethanol will significantly deteriorate the inside of the fuel hoses over time and can cause a number of other running issues. You may want to replace them (if they are not new hoses) before you continue diagnosing your problem.

Jeffneal1988

Cadet
I do smell gas coming from the engine. These are not new hoses I believe they are the ones came with boat new. So should I try to change the hoses? Also Do you think I will need to rebuild my carb? If so is there some where online that I can purchace a kit for this motor??

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
The gas smell and startup problems may be from a fuel leak. If so, that's the priority. If the engine runs fine, idles ok and goes WOT to your satisfaction, probably no need to overhaul the carbs.