Starting chime

javmike

Cadet
When i go to start my boat there is a chime as soon as you turn the key to the on position. It has allways done it. All of the sudden it stopped doing it. Should it chime when you turn the key or have i fixed something and it went away.1995 Johnson 150

Re: Starting chime

That tone is there to tell you that the alarm system is working. It's time to check the system out; it may mean that if you have a temp or oil flow issue you won't be alerted to it.

I should add that you can test it by disconnecting the temp sensor wire and shorting it to the engine block while the ignition is on. That should set off the alarm. If it doesn't, and it sounds like it won't in your case, you need to fix something. It may just be the horn in the control box, or it may be as simple as a connector that's come loose, but you should check it out.

javmike

Cadet

just found that my volt gauge isnt working either. is there maybe a fuse some were.

javmike

Cadet

What happened was i took it to a shop and they to fixed a oil leak while it was there they said the powerpak and the rectifier went out. I took it home and took it apart the chime was working before i took it apart but it would not start.
When i put the powerpak all back together. It fired up and everything works except for the starting chime, volt gauge. RPM gauge doesnt work either but it never has worked. But everything else works.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Your horn has three wires; the tan one leading to the harness is grounded in different ways to sound alarms for overheat, oil etc. The black wire is a second ground used to provide for the short start up beep. The third wire is the positive feed from the ignition switch.

You can see the wiring as it is usually set up near the end of the following thread: http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/ignitionSwitch.html

The purple wire that provides the power for the horn usually continues on to provide the positive feed for the rest of the gauges and sometimes for low amperage accessories.

javmike

Cadet

Your horn has three wires; the tan one leading to the harness is grounded in different ways to sound alarms for overheat, oil etc. The black wire is a second ground used to provide for the short start up beep. The third wire is the positive feed from the ignition switch.

You can see the wiring as it is usually set up near the end of the following thread: http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/ignitionSwitch.html

The purple wire that provides the power for the horn usually continues on to provide the positive feed for the rest of the gauges and sometimes for low amperage accessories.

What part of the buzzer would have to do with the volt gauge.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Directly or indirectly the tachometer, the voltmeter and the warning horn all get 12 volts positive power from the accessories post on the ignition switch, as shown in the wiring diagram that I referred to earlier. The positive wires from the A post on the ignition switch are purple in color.

Directly or indirectly all three gauges share a common negative ground to the small M post on the ignition switch which is connected to the engine block by a black wire running from the ignition switch through the main harness.

javmike

Cadet

Sorry to be stupid about this but where do you think i should start tracking my problem. Sorry i'm new to all this. Thanks for the wiring diagram and help.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The primary harness wiring would seem to be OK since you can start the motor and turn it off normally.

Three gauges not functioning indicates that you are not getting power from the B post to the A post on the ignition switch. Start by checking that. Use an ohmmeter to check the switch and have the battery disconnected.

You should have continuity between B and A whenever the key is in the run or start position.