Starting and charging probs with 260 mercruiser

erock194

Cadet
im having a couple of problems with my 260 merc. it has a 4 brl carb. points ignition. i changed the points, set the dwell and timing to the proper specs. when it is cold it starts easier but once it warms up it cranks alot longer then will finally kick over. what is the proper voltage at the coil with key on? cranking? and running? i jumped the 12 volt lead to coil by bypassing the the wiring harness plug and now it starts on one turn of the key. am i doing damage?
now the charging probs. above idle the voltage jumps to 15-16 volts. after running for 15 mins or so at 4000 rpm i brought it back down to idle then back up to 4000 rpm or tried. it kept breaking up above 2800 then eventually stalled at idle. is the overcharging cooking the batteries and coil making it stall and hard starting? i have the alternator out. what is the proper alternator to get to replace the one that was on engine.also when the engine is running under load and i hit the trim switch the voltage drops to 12 volts and the engine bogs alittle. is this normal? whats the problem if it is not?
any help will be appreciated
thanks
eric

erock194

Cadet
Re: Starting and charging probs with 260 mercruiser

i used a voltmeter. what should the voltage be at the coil with the key on? cranking? and running?
thanks

Bifflefan

Commander

sweet and easy:
starting:
there are 2 wires on the + side of the coil. 1 is 9 volts while running, the other is 12 volts while cranking. it sounds like your 12 volt wire may be bad or loosing voltage. trace and reapair this wire.
charging:
remove your alt and take it to a alt shop, tell them what its in and ask them to build it for this purpose. it may cost a little more than a rebuilt from auto zone, but its money well spent as its wont fail you again.

erock194

Cadet

i will check the ground. i was also thinking of adding a second ground to the other battery to the block. is this useless?