Starting a prop repair businss

Status
Not open for further replies.

eppards

Recruit
I need information on starting up a prop repair business what tools or equipment is needed for repairs and balanceing. Or any links would be appericated.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Starting a prop repair businss

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... You'll need various welders, a set of pitch blocks, 'n balancers...

Generally speakin',... Prop Shops are usually Machine Shop based...

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Basic prop repair is probably pretty straight forward replace missing metal true it with a block.
But tuning a prop is another story. I truly believe prop fiddling needs a person with knowledge and a knack
for understanding what his modifications will do.
Then there is the knowledge of hull forms and how they react to prop conformation.
As far as equipment there are now systems that can read a prop and get it perfectly balanced and tuned
to very fine tolerances.

QC

Supreme Mariner

It helps to have a certified Witch Doctor as well. Props require just the right amount of Voodoo.

UncleWillie

Captain
Re: Starting a prop repair business

I need information on starting up a prop repair business what tools or equipment is needed for repairs and balancing. Or any links would be appreciated.

Sorry. This is going to sound harsh. Tough Love!
The first thing you need is enough education and knowledge of the subject that you would not need to ask these questions.
I suggest you get a job, any job, in a prop repair business and work your way up.
When you get to the point that you think you know more about running the business than the owners; Go open your own shop!

It is more than just repairing the props, it is also running a business.

jestor68

Commander

You might try (google) " Rundquist Propeller Tools ". They supposedly have a training program.

RogersJetboat454

Commander

Sorry. This is going to sound harsh. Tough Love!
The first thing you need is enough education and knowledge of the subject that you would not need to ask these questions.
I suggest you get a job, any job, in a prop repair business and work your way up.
When you get to the point that you think you know more about running the business than the owners; Go open your own shop!

It is more than just repairing the props, it is also running a business.

^^^^ What he said.
Merely buying the tools doesn't give you the knowledge you need to fix props.
I've been in the auto field for over a decade, and see guys out there who drop thousands on tools, but don't have a clue how to use them. Some of them think that spending 4-6 grand on a scan tool is going to somehow educate them on the fundamentals they need to know, and it just doesn't work that way.

stewde1

Recruit

I need information on starting up a prop repair business what tools or equipment is needed for repairs and balanceing. Or any links would be appericated.

I have owned and operated my full service propeller shop for nearly 30 years, I get a few calls like this every year and tell them the same thing. Go work in a prop shop to see what your getting yourself into, manual labor, lots of grinding and sanding and beating. Tools are only made at a couple of places and are wicked expensive, my pitch blocks in 1986 cost me 25K and you need way more than blocks, nobody ever mentions a pitch and rake gauge which I for the life of me can't see a REAL prop shop operating without at least one. We have a computer operated pitch gauge which cost close to 50K. If you really want to get in the business look for one 4 sale, with the economy the way it is there are some out there, I'll sell you mine real-estate and all full machine shop with two CNC machines for a fraction of replacement cost:)

schrammwi

Recruit
I am working on setting up a prop shop. My brother has been repairing props for 10 years. with his experience and my business background we believe that we could succeed with this venture. The shop he has been working in is very behind the times though and we want to be up to speed with industry standards and business practices. Would any of you guys be willing to have a discussion or 2 with me about tips, equipment and your experience?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Old thread. Start a new topic with your questions.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.